Fire Rated 12v Downlights, Or Ordinary 12v Downlights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by J.P., Aug 2, 2013.

1. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Better to ask under which circumstances would you ..need.. to use firerated downlights in a domestic setting ,,, I can't think of any , scraping the barrell then perhaps in an integral garage

2. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Hi RS. No I don't need fire rated downlights because it is a single story extension with obviously no rooms above it.

3. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Interesting.
    No mention of acoustic and vapour requirements ?
    In that case can I refer you all to The Electrical Safety Council.  Best Practice Guide.
    Electrical installations and their impact on the fire performance of buildings:
    Part 1
    - Domestic premises: Single family units
    (houses, flats, maisonettes, bungalows)
    And...BS: 7671.
    section 412, 527,
    Regs: 527.11, 527. 2510.2, 526.5, 611.3
    RS

4. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Cheers for the info RS..:)

5. retiredsparks

No probs JP.  Happy to be of help.

But obviously up to individual people as to what they do....and the consequences.
    RS

6. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

That's just scaremongering RS, I use common sense .
    Inidentally what do all those numbers mean, my regs are in the post

7. retiredsparks

Scaremongering ?
    I am sure the Electrical Safety Council will take your professional opinion into account on the next issue.
    Common sense ?....that's just the problem...'common sense' isn't ...very common.
    Incidentally, if you don't know what the sections and regulations of BS: 7671:2008 mean, may I suggest that you spend less time posting and more time reading.
    RS

8. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

I can understand the regs thank you very much, last time I looked a fire rated downlight was only required if it was to be fitted in a fire barrier, as for noise and condensation whatever then using a plant pot covered in insulation would be just as effective as a fire rated downlight.
    Now if you are posting on here to help people wouldn't it be a good idea to actually show the reg/s that relate to your claim, instead of spouting reg numbers which are meaningless to many who view here

9. retiredsparks

I have shown the regs which are applicable.........and given the document reference, which anyone can refer to online..for free.

Most other members would be interested and grateful for some technical input.

I have posted information on here for the benefit of other people.............but you are the person who likes to use the words 'scaremongering'...'claim'...spouting'....

Now, I cannot be bothered to look at some..or any.. of your 12,978 post during the last 7 years and I am not a gambling man...but I will lay odds that MOST of your posts have been infantile, unhelpful and sarcastic.

But, being a reasonable guy and in a humerous way...can i just say that  I also suspect that you tuck your bri nylon shirt and vest into your underpants and are a crashing tedious  bore ....both in ..and out ...of the pub.

RS