Lost Brown Regs Book

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by cpc, Apr 30, 2004.

1. cpc

cpc Member

Has anyone seen a slightly worn out Brown Regs Book (BS 7671 Amd 2),last seen 10 miles south of Stevenage.
    cpc

2. ChubbyPhaseWire

ChubbyPhaseWire New Member

Has anyone seen a slightly worn out Brown Regs Book
    (BS 7671 Amd 2),last seen 10 miles south of
    Stevenage.
    cpc

Perhaps its heading home. A regs book is not just for xmas it for life

3. cpc

cpc Member

Perhaps its heading home. A regs book is not just for
    xmas it for life.
    Not true it only has to last until the next amendment.
    cpc

4. ChubbyPhaseWire

Perhaps its heading home. A regs book is not just
    for
    xmas it for life.
    Not true it only has to last until the next
    amendment.
    cpc

LOL Thanks CHUM

5. Fused

Fused New Member

Not true it only has to last until the next amendment.
    cpc <<
    Quite so, and to the next Appendix, and the next Addendum, and the next Errata, and the next Errata to the Guide to the Appendix and on-and-on; and as my professional typographer (ie: page layout and design) friend, who worked for the Canadian government, said when he looked through some of the IEE publications . . . 'these are an dreadful mess and a sure sign of a muddled organsation'

I still can't counter his opinion . . . thank god he hasn't seen what they've published in the last 10 years!

As we are increasingly seeing experience, aptitude, care, dedication etc count for nothing now, its all a finance-greedy naff-NIC-etc world. So throwing experience aside I think the endless 'variety-of-regs-publications' and their varients are wonderful, for, if you ever feel in doubt about something its odds on that you will find some clause that either utterly clutters the issue or exonerates you, lol!

If we went back to regarding the Regs as a guide and notional standard rather than pretending they are the be-all and end-all and let competence and experience prevail we would be far better off.

6. ColG

ColG New Member

Imagine if we all stuck religiously to the highway code, we'd have gridlock and nobody would get anywhere. In the main, most people use their comonsense and life on the roads is relatively safe save for the odd accident where somebody does something stupid.

Col

7. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Couldn't agree more.
    There's the Real World, where Real People have to get on with Real Work......

.....And then there's the Wiring Regulations....

TT

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

i can live with rule bending, but some people......god.....!

RCD tripping in a consumer unit in a shop (30mA main RCD), ask to have a look, by the time i got there the shop owner said a customer who was a spark had already fixed the problem, and said he tinkered in the consumer unit.

Took of the CU cover, and found an earth wire disconnected. It fed a row of lights with emergency fittings aswell, with one emergency fitting outside the fire exit.......full of water!

He solved the problem, and if i hadnt looked in the CU, and just said 'oh well, glad your powers back on, cheers, bye', then she would have a row of flourescents with no earth on them!!

9. cpc

cpc Member

Well done lec,hope you tested it when you finished.
    cpc

10. Lectrician

i exhaust my supply of certs very quickly...very costly...some customers aint happy with bils due to forms, and time filling them in and testing!

Takes longer than the job sometimes!

11. cpc

cpc Member

You can save time and money,by phot-copying one,using it out on site ,and then fill in one, out of your book back at the office.
    cpc

12. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Never mind - they don't become an absolute legal requirement for another 8 months.

13. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

i exhaust my supply of certs very quickly...very costly...some customers aint happy with bils due to forms, and time filling them in and testing!

Why not download them from the IEE website and print them off?

14. Lectrician

cause i am niceic, and use printable certs with cert filling software and downloadable test instruments.

about £20 a pack for certs.

15. cpc

cpc Member

same here,what system do you use ?
    l use Amtec and castle line.
    cpc

16. Lectrician

just amtec...the money screwers! (there maintenance contracts are bit expensive)

17. cpc

cpc Member

amtec,s ok but does,nt print onto nic standard form,s comp-friendly ones are required.
    cpc

18. ChubbyPhaseWire

Not true it only has to last until the next
    amendment.
    cpc <<
    Quite so, and to the next Appendix, and the next
    Addendum, and the next Errata, and the next Errata to
    the Guide to the Appendix and on-and-on; and as my
    professional typographer (ie: page layout and design)
    friend, who worked for the Canadian government, said
    when he looked through some of the IEE publications .
    . . 'these are an dreadful mess and a sure sign of a
    muddled organsation'

hIn Fused
    No need to buy the latest copy of BS7671 just refer to the 1st one that came out (In) 1882.
    If you want a copy just send me 30/36 Brittish Shillings.

19. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

hIn Fused
    No need to buy the latest copy of BS7671 just refer
    to the 1st one that came out (In) 1882.
    If you want a copy just send me 30/36 Brittish
    Shillings.

Say Chubs,

shouldnt that be (It) was produced in 1882 and was (it)under the 'Rules and Regulations for the prevention of fire risks arising from electric lighting'?

SF

Oh hows Pats dates I have not had a chance to try and look at them yet? I like em a bit on the sweet side!!

20. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

cause i am niceic, and use printable certs with cert filling software and downloadable test instruments. about £20 a pack for certs.

Invest in a full copy of Acrobat.

Download the IEE forms.

Download the NICEIC logo.

Put the logo on the IEE forms.

F*'em all....