New Meter box door??

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sparky Si-Fi, May 4, 2004.

1. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Hello all,

Probably a daft question,but does anyone know where I can get hold of a new door for my meter box,as the wind ripped it off and all my 'gubbins'are now exposed to the elements!

SF

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

your REC, they will charge, and if its an old box, i think you will need a whole new box :(

3. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

SF, If it is one of those external meter boxes, doesn't it belonf to the REC? .... in which case, they should maintain it.

4. Lectrician

i was charged for my new box !

5. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

I would,'t have paid them!

I had a problem with the incoming overhead cable which was strung to the chimney head of my country cottage. The cable had pulled the chimney and cracked the stonework. Scottish Power paid for the repair and ran in and underground cable to the box at their cost.

My reasoning with their contracts dept was that it was all thiir property and I was not allowed to touch it. They agreed after two exchanges of letters.

In SF's case, I would argue that everything upstream of the meter tails id the REC's property and is theirs to maintain.... and theit liability for my safety.

6. Lectrician

give it a go SF, nothing to loose, let us know what happens :)

7. sparks

sparks New Member

Hello all,

Probably a daft question,but does anyone know where I
    can get hold of a new door for my meter box,as the
    wind ripped it off and all my 'gubbins'are now
    exposed to the elements!

SF

Doesn't make much sense but most REC will charge for a new cupboard or door but I've worked on new build sites were we have had the meter boxes delivered 3 times and the REC is not interested in recovering the spares, ask anyone working on a new-build site and they'll probably have a spare

8. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Just spoke to my REC this morning after getting lost around the system listening to 'Little Chef' music.

There coming out 20/5/04 to fit me a new door,no mention of a charge as yet,nor do I intend to give them one,they have enough off of me as it is.

SF

9. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

Result! :)

10. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

the wind ripped it off

Was it closed and latched? If not, who left it open, you or Mr Meter Reader?

11. LECCYMAN

LECCYMAN New Member

New door can be fitted if hinges and catch o.k if not metal overdoor can be fitted over existing box no charge by rec where i come from