Sink Waste

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by 13Chestnut, May 18, 2004.

1. 13Chestnut

13Chestnut New Member

I am removing a waste disposal unit from my double sink unit. Once it is removed I need to replace with a conventional sink waste/strainer.
    I appreciate that the waste pipes are standard at 40mm/32mm but what about the sizes of the top part which goes from the bottom of the sink bowl into the 40mm pipe?
    This seems to measure at its widest part (ie the hole in the sink) approx 80 - 90mm

When I bought a sink previously this part was included with the sink and you only needed to worry about purchasing pipes for the 40mm waste part. However once I remove the waste disposal unit I will be left with the problem of finding something to fit the large hole in the sink.
    Any clues before I take it all apart and leave my wife without a sink for 2 weeks while I try and source ??

Thanks

2. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

3. 13Chestnut

13Chestnut New Member

Exactely like that - That is what I had in my shopping basket but I was not sure if all sinks would be a standard size after my previous experience.
    You think this would do it and bolt on a 40mm P Trap down to the current waste setup ?

4. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

Yes, the basket strainer waste is the same size as a Waste Disposal unit and the outlet from it will mate with a Trap.

5. diysaster

diysaster New Member

13C - what's your reason for removing the waste disposal? It's just that I was planning on fitting one. Are they more trouble than they're worth?

6. Stoday

Stoday New Member

Everyone should have one! I've had one for as long as I can remember.

Most just die after five years or so, except for "Insinkerator", which lasted ten.