laying concrete footings

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by virgindiy, May 20, 2004.

1. virgindiy

virgindiy New Member

I am going mix 5 meters of concrete foundation myself, what is the best way to lay it? in thin layers around the trench or in big dollops on top of another and as its gonna be a dry day and will take a whole day to do, what can i do to make it stick well/stay moist and set well together as concrete is suppose to have a life of 4 hrs before drying,
    and how long should the mix be in the mixer each time?
    thanks

2. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

5 meters is one hell of a lot of concrete, I hope you have got a big mixer!!

3. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

You wouldn't know what 5m3 looked like if it **** on your boots.

Get real!

A mixer truck takes 6 m3 many still take 5.5m3 - It is enough to fill the average living room up to a depth of 3 feet.

Pour yourself another drink and think about Disneyworld

[Edited by: Forum Moderator]

4. sparkedout2

sparkedout2 New Member

start at one end and level as you go How many of you are there ? you wont do this in a day on your own

5. T

T Member

Buy ready mix, lot easier. No chance you will get it done in a day. Took me and mate all day to do 3

6. virgindiy

virgindiy New Member

thanks guys, prob should listen to you all,

ta

7. Dewy

Dewy New Member

With readymix, get a friend to help barrow it in place. The driver is only allowed to stay a certain time per M³ then has to dump the rest were he is.

8. intrigued

intrigued New Member

Insane to handmix 5m3.
    I suspect if you are going to buy bulk bags etc then the difference in cost is minimal. I pay £50-£55 a m3.

Additionally if they cannot pour into the hole then a conveyor may help at an additional £80 a load from RMC.

If at all possible avoid wheelbarrows, unless the truck or conveyor genuinely cannot reach.

I

9. Bill the Botcher

Bill the Botcher New Member

There's a calculator at http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/mixingconcrete.htm that will give you an idea of the quantities of materials required to mix 5m3 of concrete (4:2:1 mix). It was this that convinced me to get readymix! It will cost around the same to have it delivered as to mix it yourself. It took 3 of us 45 minutes to barrow 3m3 so be prepared for some hard work. We had to barrow due to access restrictions to the back of the house. Search for other posts on how to get the footings level as these proved very helpful. I'm doing another 3m3 on Saturday, I'm obviously a glutton for punishment!

10. jj

jj New Member

Recently had three and a half truck loads delivered (not on the same day) Garage footings, slab and driveway. Believe me, It's hard enough shovelling the concrete round and tamping it once it's poured, let alone mixing that sort of quantity !! I took a section of the garden wall down so the truck could reverse right upto the pour.... Barrowing that quantity - NO WAY ! If need be, pay the extra for a pump.

11. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Daft question but are you talking linear meters or cubic? A 5m length by hand isn't quite so bad...

12. Dewy

Dewy New Member

When referrin gto concrete its always the cubic measure unless stated as linear when the thickness and width are needed to provide the cubic measure (back to square one) lol

13. tommy welsh

tommy welsh New Member

listen to me mate get some one to do it for you sounds like you don't no what you are doing.