Any comments on a Triton - T300Si (electric shower)

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by jj, May 31, 2004.

1. jj

jj New Member

The one with the remote power pack ?

Any fitted one ? or any comments - good or bad ?

thanks in advance

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

fitted one about a week ago, didnt see it run though as the plumber was struggling with his pipework.

Its cat5 cable from heater to conrol panel, its a fixed length with plugs already on it, but i would think you may be able to lengthen it if you needed. (bet is says not to in intructions).

The water output still has the screw on hose bit, and i didn't see how the plumber used this with his Hep20 pipe??

This one had the heater in the utility room below, with the shower isolator adjacent to this (should there be another isolator in the bathroom?????)

3. plugwash

plugwash New Member

an isolator in the bathroom would negate the point which afaict is to minimise the run of thick cable

provided the outlet pipe is either well earthed or plastic i don't see a problem

4. Lectrician

yea, we didn't fit one, the shower rose fitting was fet by plastic, and the shower panel is SELV i seem to remember.

5. jj

jj New Member

6. plugwash

plugwash New Member

crabtree do but im not sure where you would buy them
    get hold of crabtrees catalouge get the part numbers and ask yoru local wholesalers

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi jj

A few years back I fitted a Triton T200E. I think that was one of the forunners to the T300Si. The main advantage is that with a remote power pack all the main plumbing can be connected in a cupboard or wherever the power pack is located as the shower head is fed from a separate small bore plastic pipe that is easier to route. I never had any trouble with it and it served us well. The only gripe is that the "paint" wore off the switches eventually making it look naff.

Roy

8. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

all the main plumbing can be connected in a cupboard or wherever the power pack is located

Every electric shower I've had has had a pressure relief device inside it - if you block the outlet (e.g. by folding the hose in half) it opens and the water comes out of the bottom of the shower instead. That'd be real fun if it was in a cupboard and not over the bath or shower tray...

9. Lectrician

Good point BAS, i bet it is still there on the shower unit :)

10. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Yes and no - it is still there, and it's in the remote heater unit that you tuck away in a cupboard. It comes with a plastic tube which they tell you to connect to a suitable and visible waste.

Which of course you're bound to have handy in the cupboard.

It seems that this device is going to involve more plumbing, not less, more wiring, not less (although possibly easier installation of the 10mm stuff), and will mean that when it needs replacing you can't easily switch to another manufacturer unless they all start making products like this with compatible connections between control and remote units.

11. Lectrician

Yea, the lead to the panel was a bugger to put in cause it has plugs on it already, didn't see how the plumber finished it, but as you say when it goes squit, you are buggered really, cant even install a nromal shower in its place in the b room

12. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Call me a cynical old bvgger, but I think that's part of Triton's plan.....

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

B-A-S

Thats the difference between people who know the theory and people who actually do the installation AND know the theory. It is not a big deal. The pressure oulet valve can be taken outside the cupboard and out through the wall, usually alongside the waste pipe outlet and possibly even in to a hopper if there is one. The manufacturers are really quite intelligent believe it or not and they even take pressure relief valves in to account. Amazing really.

Roy

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

That is via another plastic pipe...too busy trying to be sarcy! (lol)

15. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Thats the difference between people who know the theory and people who actually do the installation AND know the theory. It is not a big deal.

No, not a big deal, but undeniably more work than if you didn't have to do it at all, like when the whole unit is over the bath or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I can see some benefits in the idea of a split unit, but I can also see that they come at a price in terms of installation complexity and future flexibility.

The pressure oulet valve can be taken outside the cupboard and out through the wall, usually alongside the waste pipe outlet and possibly even in to a hopper if there is one. The manufacturers are really quite intelligent believe it or not and they even take pressure relief valves in to account. Amazing really.

I've had PRDs operate twice, and both times the sudden jet of water leaving the PRD blew the plastic pipe off, so I'd advise anybody fitting one of these split units into a cupboard to use a little jubilee clip to hold the pipe onto the PRD.....

And to buy 2 spare PRDs not just the usual one, so that they can test that the clip does actually hold the pipe on.....

16. jj

jj New Member

Good point Re: the PRD discharge. So, no, the remote power-pack wont be hidden away in a cupboard, but will remain in the box on the suppliers shelf !

Anyone recommend a good electric shower ?

17. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

AFAIK, there's little to choose between the well known reputable makes (Triton, Redring etc) other than styling - if you think about it, they're staggeringly simple inside - a heater can, a tap, a solenoid valve and a couple of thermostatic safety cutouts, and I don't imagine that any of the shower manufacturers make any of the individual components themselves.

Hopefully the guys here who fit a lot may have a feel for general reliability, and ease of fitting. Might be worth searching this forum, and the plumbers one - this question is bound to have been asked before.

18. Lectrician

some plumbers i know say to steer clear of mira. I dont really have a preference though, but only fit triton, as thats the make the wholesaler sell :)