Help us improve our website

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by screwfix.peter, Sep 2, 2014.

1. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi

You may have seen my previous post about Quick Shop in which we were asking for your views, and we would like your opinions and views.

We’re making improvements to our website Screwfix.com to improve the shopping experience for all our customers.

To help us, please tell us your favourite aspects of the current shopping site?

What improvements would you make in an ideal world?

Peter

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Favourite aspects of the SF site.. How easy it is to find things via the search tab or directly by department. I like the way it shows items searched for, without all those "You may also be interested in this item" (like you get on other websites) and unlike websites that give 1000's of results, only a few of which are actually relevant (B&Q's website, diy.com is probably the worst one for this (Kingfisher Group please take note !!!)
    I don't know that SF could improve their shopping site. I've never used the "Quick Shop" for the simple reason, if I look an item number up in the catalogue beforehand, I can check the stock in my local SF before going there, or order it for pick up from the local store. ;);)

PS nearly forgot.. the great forum we have here,, A valuable resource for DIY'ers and Professionals alike.

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the sites great peter, My usual thing is to search for, say a toilet valve for example, then check if its in stock, then go pick it up, where it slows up is if i'm out and about so when i go into the branch i have to troll trough the catalog, the staff are very helpfull but they have no idea of plumbing stuff, a toilet fill valve does mean anything, they need the item number, So perhaps a couple of monitors in the shops to search for the item numbers and speed things up,

4. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Are you after some free tools JJ.:D

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

PB, he only needs a claw hammer and a saw :):)

6. plumberboy

Is his carpentry that bad Tom.:p
    Only joking JJ I'm sure your top notch.;)

7. joinerjohn1

Allus up for some freebies PB. I do a bit of testing for Stanley Tools and have a nice assortment of stuff from them (latest test is the Fatmax handsaw,, it's a beauty) (just seen your last post n'all) My carpentry always looks spot on (till I put me specs on,,, then it looks shoite) :p:p:p:p:p:p

8. plumberboy

I've got a Stanley fatmax multitool its brilliant use it all the time.
    Your carpentry sounds like my plumbing then JJ.:oops::p

9. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I use both SF and Toolstation quite a bit, both their Websites and Stores.

The Toolstation website is far more user friendly so I make a beeline to Toolstation and if they haven't got it then I visit Screwfix Website. Everything is simplified and no nonsense on the TS Site and I can quickly view the items I need to. SF isn't user friendly, far too much going on. It's better than it was but everything is rammed down your throat. I know what I want already so I try to go straight to it. I don't want to see other items, just what I want. The fact that other items need to be spoon fed to the customers means that the target market has become DIY'ers which immediately says to me 'high prices and poor quality'

In terms of going to the stores, I have a Screwfix and Toolstation within 30 seconds of each other. This is in Camberley, Surrey. I can choose to turn left to go to Toolstation or right for Screwfix.

90% of the time I visit TS because:-

- I'm in and out quickly. The same person taking your order will do the picking.
    - Free Drinks
    - Smaller catalogue so quicker to find times.
    - Staff are more intelligent. This is based on visiting around 10 different SF and TS stores.
    - Stock levels are much better.

Screwfix has gotten too big IMO. It has turned into B&Q but without the orange tw@ts floating round aimlessly.

I hope this constructive criticism helps somewhat.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    datadiffusion likes this.
  10. Very similar to bathstyle, everytime I go my local store, 9 times out of 10 its not in stock,
    Go next door to Stool Station, in stock every time.

11. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I found that SF started to get crafty with their fittings and stuff too. Putting things in packs of 5's to try to disguise how much of a price increase there has been since they sold the items singularly.

SF will go the same way as Tesco did because they tried to have their finger in every Pie, the recession hit and the German Supermarkets swept the business from under their feet.

SF has got too big. It's as though they are marketing themselves as the secret Tradesman depot where DIYers can shop. You get so many DIYers in there nowadays that just grab a catalogue and go straight to the till expecting the counter staff to be their personal shop assistant.

I do go into the Plumbfix side quite often but again, if you get more than two people in there, the waiting is bad.

12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the free drinks is a plus, there's no toolstation in wigan if there was I'd probley go in for the free drinks too.

yes I know screwfix do free drinks but you gotta ask, and if staff are all busy its tough luck,

13. plumberboy

My local plumbfix seem to serve diyers in there,I thought the idea of a trade counter is for the trade,drives you mad if you've got a busy day.:(

14. plumberboy

Toolstations free drinks are cr@p.:confused:once tried never forgotten,for all the wrong reasons.

15. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi

Thank you for all your comments so far.

We are looking for your feedback about our website so we can improve this for you and all our customers. Your thoughts about our stores is helpful and I will pass these comments to the Stores Team. However we really are looking for your thoughts on screwfix.com.

Thanks

Peter

16. plumberboy

Its fannnnytastic. I mean good.:)

17. joinerjohn1

Well SF Peter, I think I've given a fair account of the SF website.. We do have to compare it to other websites however (as internetland is quite large) I've compared it with BnPoo (because your both owned by the same holding group) and trust me, SF website is 100% more user friendly than B&Q's pathetic excuse. Went on DIY.scam the other day so I could compare the price of some 15mm compression joints. B&Q's site (after searching for them comes up with "Other customers who were interested in this item were also interested in,,,,,,,, paint,, wallpaper,, garden furniture,, light switches, electric drills, ,, timber,,,, soft furnishings..... (all with photos of the items and the ubiquitous "Add this to yer basket tab) Maybe you could pass this on through the Kingfisher Group and tell em,, When I search for a specific item on any website, I fully expect to be taken straight to the said item,,, not adverts for things that bear absolutely no relation to the search term.. I'm sure others feel the same way..

Apart from that SF's site is excellent, easy to use,, and,, I Like it. ;);) (PS,, hope this isn't leading up to a change of software for the site, including the forum) ;);)

18. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think the Screwfix site is pretty good to be fair. ive often purchased, or decided on one product over another due to the reviews. i also like the mobile functionality of it. sometimes i find the search a bit random but usually get to where i want to be.
    One thing you have sorted compared toolstation is the purchasing process. Toolstation allows you to add stuff to cart and buy, but then you get to the store and even if its there you haven't saved anytime because its all dealt with in the distribution centre!
    Compare this to Screwfix where its usually all boxed up ready to go.
    One thing i do like about Toolstation compared to Screwfix is they sell things like fittings singularly.

19. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Screwfix's Website is a thousand times better than the DIY.com offering which has always been an awful site to use.

Even Wickes sorted theirs out a little bit but B&Q is years behind.

20. Supra

Supra Member

Overall the website is good and I like to see product reviews which can be useful.

What I don't like is if I'm looking at a list of a particular product such as a float valve, I cannot just browse through the list and view the product information without having to click on each one in turn and then having to go back and click on the next one through the whole list. On the Toolstation website it's all there to view on one page so it's far easier to make comparisons.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/bathrooms-kitchens/toilet-spares/cat831530#category=cat831620

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/Toilet+Fittings/d20/sd2835

I hate it when I go into the stores and they keep asking " Is there anything else I can help you with?" , they ask this before and after you make a purchase, once before you pay is enough.

At TS the free drinks dispensed are absolutely scalding at both local stores.