Resetting aqua-stop on dishwasher?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Noddy, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Noddy

Noddy New Member

Went away for weekend recently, and being in the middle of installing new bathroom, decided to turn off the water at the mains to be on the safe side. However, I wasn't aware that my wife set the dishwasher on the timer to come on whilst we were away.

Came home - dishwasher still full of dirty dishes of course. Unfortunately it won't run now. I've disconnected the 'aqua-stop' box (Bosch standard fit anti-flood electric valve on the inlet pipe) and reconnected. Switched on and off and tried 'reset' on the machine several times, but the thing won't fill. Program starts, but no water goes in and it stops after about a minute. Checked that there is water coming through and with plenty of pressure. I am wondering if the aqua-stop needs somehow to be reset?
    Any ideas?

2. In_too_deep

In_too_deep New Member

May be a total red herring...
    I had a similar problem with a dishwasher - it seemed to me the 'logic' in the programmer was lost somehow. I too expected power cycling to clear the problem however it didn't. In my case emptying the water out the machine cured it.
    I took the waste hose out of drain and emptied into a shallow basin (straight outside would have been better).

Still dont understand why this should make a difference but this has cleared issues twice now...

3. Noddy

Noddy New Member

thanks for that - I've read something similar for a different make of dishwasher. I'll give it a go tonight I think - my wife is about to call in the expensive call-out boys...!
    cheers
    Noddy

4. bilco

bilco New Member

Check for power at the solenoid on the cold fill...if power's there, the solenoid is likely u.s.

5. Noddy

Noddy New Member

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the washer out last night and checked the pipes and emptied out any water in them. Had a quick look at the board, and couldn't see anything loose or blackened!
    Plugged it all back in - still nothing.

I then thought of a long shot - tried pouring in a couple of pints of water into the machine and amazingly it started working again. Almost as if it got onto a cycle and insisted on carrying on with it, but expected water to be there. Anyway it goes quite well, spray arms working and heating the water ok, but now gets stuck in the rinse cycle.

Think I'll carry on this way, trying to coax it through to the end of a cycle. At least I'm getting somewhere, but can't believe there's no error code and the manual is no use at all. Their tech support line is way over subscribed...

6. bilco

bilco New Member

Still sounds like the solenoid to me...did you check it?

7. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

I agree with Bilco. By turning the water off and starting the dishwasher, it would have energised the solenoid valve and left it energised all weekend until it burned out the solenoid.

You diagnostic of chucking in a couple of pints of water getting it started fits with this scenario as does the observation that it stops again on the rinse cycle.

Get a multimeter and check the solenoid valve for continuity.

8. Noddy

Noddy New Member

thanks Bilco and Wheel-nut

It sounds reasonable and I gather these are quite easy to replace. I'll give it a try tonight.

thanks for your replies
    Noddy