The thing I do not miss is sharpening my hand saws I was taught to make this saw jig from scrap .

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Sunto64, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Sunto64

Sunto64 Member

2. Sunto64

Sunto64 Member

Long live the hard point saw.

3. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

And so say all of us. Still got all the old Disston, Sorby and Sandvik saws but would never dream of using them, they weigh a ton!. Mind you I still use traditional tenon and dovetail saws. Just like the feel of them.

Sunto64 likes this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

what is the 'kin point of that?

5. Sunto64

Sunto64 Member

I after admit I need to stream line my tools we all keep things that don't work and the minute we throw them in the bin some one wants it . I was unlucky just before Christmas I was cutting a hole under a counter top and going through 18 mm mdf with a 80 mm hole cutter as I have done many times before . My drill snagged and it locked itself somehow it all happened so fast with the result of smock bellowing from the motor unbelievable . I was gutted until I told my tale to an old work mate with the same Makita drill he had gear box problems with his but the motor was fine . He gave me the drill and happy days my drill is working again just like scrap heap challenge. Interesting thing is Hilti will take any broken power tool you have when you buy a new one and give you a credit to spend in the shop and then they recycle them maybe they get tax relief but what a good idea.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Someone's stolen your teeth on your saw.
    That or you got carried away with the file. :D

Sunto64 likes this.
  7. Sunto64

Sunto64 Member

They are their low res picture. I once made a real hash of sharpening my dovetail saw so I just filled them all flat in a moment of madness

8. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

I made the handles so they fit my hand perfectly.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Sorry, there was a mix up in what I was talking about.

10. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

yeah, no bother chippy.:)

11. wuddy

wuddy Member

I can't believe how many people still use handsaws

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Do you mean hand saws or non hardpoint saws?

13. Sunto64

Sunto64 Member

I still love to use my hard point hand saw preferably Irwin lost count how many I have bought .