Painting new render

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by boris the blade, Jun 25, 2004.

1. boris the blade

boris the blade New Member

I need some advice, how long do i need to wait before i can paint new render? do i just wait till it looks dry and then paint? or is it best to leave it for a week or longer? please help!

Boris

2. Beau

Beau New Member

it should be dry by now BUT you must stabilise the new render (with p.v.a if this is all you can afford) you will then get a pro finnish in 2 coats instead of 3 or 4.

3. boris the blade

Thanks for the advice, ive got some waterproof pva, but it says dont use as a primer for paint! ?

4. jimbo

jimbo Guest

Beau is talking c**p do not stabilise new render... prime with a thinned coat of masonry paint and then give one or two final coats.Do NOT add PVA to the paint.

5. jimbo

jimbo Guest

Regarding how long till you can paint it.,,,, how long does it need to dry out?Generally speaking,if it has dried from grey to light grey then it should be dry,The test will be if you paint it and the paint dries within the recommended time then it should be dry enough.Normally it won't do any harm if the render is still a bit damp as long as it is drying out normally.

6. boris the blade

yes its dry now, i just put the render on, i dont normally get the 'pleasure' of painting it :-/ i HATE painting! :( all i need now then is a few good dry days.....