Titan planer/thicknesser

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Les Whitham, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Les Whitham

Les Whitham New Member

Hi all,

I bought this planer thicknesser a few weeks ago and generally I'm very happy with it. I've used it for only maybe 3 hours tops but the last couple of days it has started making a really loud high pitched squeeling noise when up to speed. I presume this is a lack of grease or oil or something but it says in the instruction manual it should be checked after 10 hours. Also I've noticed that the first couple of inches has a slightly deeper and unsightly cut than the rest. Does anybody know how this can be rectified?
    Thanks in advance.
    Les

2. mof

mof Member

The deeper cut at the end of your wood is called snip, it is caused when the planner blades are slightly too high or the outfeed table is slightly lower than it should be, the blades should be higher than the outfeed table by only a couple of thou or so and no more.

Gatt likes this.
  3. Les Whitham

Les Whitham New Member

Ok thanks for that. Actually this snipe occurs only on the thicknesser side only, the planer side seems ok. It's this normal?

4. mof

mof Member

Sounds like the infeed roller is not pressing the timber down hard enough against the lower table, try holding the timber up slightly untill the second roller is reached by the piece of wood.

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Snipe usually occurs on the thicknesser either on the infeed or outfeed side usually with larger pieces.
    The best solution is accurately set infeed and outfeed roller tables.

6. Les Whitham

Les Whitham New Member

Ok, thanks for those replies. At the moment I'm more concerned about the high pitched squeeling noise that the machine makes when up to speed usually after maybe 5 seconds or so. It never did that when I first got it. Any ideas? Thanks

7. mof

mof Member

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It might be a dry bearing.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. Les Whitham

Les Whitham New Member

Thanks, in fact I don't need the rollers (albeit I'll keep it in mind for the future) as I'm only making some kitchen chopping boards for some friends.
    Can anyone recommend a grease to use for the bearings? There is no mention of a type in the manual. Thanks

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is it a sealed bearing or does it have a grease nipple?

12. Les Whitham

Les Whitham New Member

Neither it looks like. The gears do look quite dry though. There are 2 belts and one chain. One of the belts has some damage it seems some threads are showing and there has been some rubber splitting from the side and some rubber debris at the bottom of the cover. I fear this may be the problem. Although it not even had 2 hours cumulative use so this is quite disappointing. I'll have to contact Screwfix

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A lot of tools are made with plastic cogs, etc today, & some makes don't last long.

But, yours could be a manufacturing fault, something slightly out of alignment causing the wear.

14. Liffy99

Liffy99 New Member

Where exactly do you lubricate the bearings ? The manual just shows the whole drive assembly but with no detail.

15. Phil Jensen

Phil Jensen New Member

Hi,
    I've been looking for a spare part for my Titan Planer Thicknesser but have hit a brick wall.
    I need the adjustable height handle and no one seems to stop it, can anyone help.

Thanks in advance