Best finish for stripped pine floors?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Bitty, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Bitty

Bitty New Member

I like the look of stripped pine floors and have always taken advantage of any of my previous houses that had real floorboards.

I'm about to do the same in my latest house.

I'd <u>really</u> welcome your thoughts (pros and cons)on the best finish to apply after the boards have been sanded.

I understand the basic options are:

(a) Stain and then apply a clear varnish (cons: the stain can be taken up unevenly, looking patchy)
    (b) Coloured (water-based) varnish. I've used this a couple of times with med/dark oak colours, and have been pleased with the results (I like the way the water-base raises the grain a little which gives the floor a good texture)
    (c) Wax

I don't like the 'mellow' <u>orangey</u> tint that pine goes with age and oil-based varnish! I'm ideally looking for an antique-pine or light oak style finish this time.

What different finishes have peeps used and what was the result?

Thanks.

2. dunc

dunc New Member

I used Dulux Diamond Glaze on our floor. It has given 6 years good protection.

Waxing a floor could result in a really nice finish but a lot of hard work which has to be repeated regularly. Briwax do some good ranges.

Standard varnishes are not strong enough.

3. Bitty

Bitty New Member

Thanks dunc.

Is this just a clear finish, or does it also come in 'shades'?

4. dunc

dunc New Member

You get gloss, silk and matt. It gives the wood a honey shade and prevents decay and greying.

5. vwmark

vwmark New Member

I don't think you can beat wax - I am just about to do 60 sq. yards of pitch pine with Briwax - might be more work but the varnished and stains I have seen give an artificial look - the oragnge colour you didn't loke.

6. Earthman

Earthman New Member

We have 90 square metres of pitch pine flooring that we want to finish - it's 80- years old and has been sanded. We know it's a ton of work but we are going for wax -- vwmark - any tips for us --- (other than new fingertips when we've finished...;)

7. vwmark

vwmark New Member

Not really - as I am just about to do it. The small amounts I have done, I used 0000 wire wool. Applied the first coat and left to soak in for about 15-30 minutes before buffing off and applying a second coat which I left 5 minutes before buffing.#

I think 60sq. yards will take me 2-3 days just to wax!

8. panlid

panlid New Member

just a thought, are you planning to do a torville and dean on this floor by using wax.also it is a ******* to get of floors and you shouldnt really just go over it or sand it as it doesnt remove it all, as i say just a thought.

9. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

If you are going to wax a pine floor use a floor sealer first. Otherwise dirt goes straight through the wax into the wood and it soon looks irretrievably dirty.

10. Bitty

Bitty New Member

This is very useful information - thanks to you all.

woodsmith, what type (or make!) of floor sealer would you recommend?

11. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Hi dmacd,
    Liberon make a product unsurprisingly called Floor Sealer.
    It is oil based,and gives a satin finish on its own or you can wax on top. A 5 litre tin will do about 50m2.