Washing Machine Waste

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MarkyBoy, Jul 22, 2004.

1. MarkyBoy

MarkyBoy Member

I want to connect a washing machine waste but the trap and outlet pipe of the nearest sink are both metal/steel.
    The trap seems to be welded to the metal outlet pipe. Is there any product that would enable me to tap into the metal outlet pipe, by-passing the steel sink trap, so that I could connect the washing machine directly ? Also, do I have to have a trap on a washing machine waste ?

Thanksyou for any helpful advice.

2. Abe

Abe New Member

Take a look at Screwfix Quote no. 11879

I doubt the self cutting feature would work into steel, so you may have to mark and then cut the hole by other means. You may also need to use alternative rubber shims for diameters other than 1.25" or 1.5".

I think this product has a one way valve in it (a similar one I removed recently certainly did) so would probably be OK to feed into the pipe after the trap.

3. Bahco

Bahco Guest

It sounds like your existing stuff are very old.
    I would be tempted to renew all in plastic if access is easy. Probably cost you a little over £10 for 2 traps and waste pipe and a couple of elbows/tees.

4. MarkyBoy

MarkyBoy Member

Thankyou for the responses. The Screwfix part looks perfect but, as stated, I don't think it would be suitable for cutting into steel pipe. The pipe work is old but access is not good. There is approximately 20cm of steel pipe behind the trap and then it disappears into the wall and drops about 25 feet to the ground floor. I guess I could try drilling into it and then using the Screwfix kit.