Offset Pan Connector

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by seftonbarn, Oct 27, 2015.

1. seftonbarn

seftonbarn New Member

Due to internal alteration I have ended up with the toilet pan outlet slightly lower than ideal in comparison to the foul waste outlet pipe. Is it ok to use an offset connector and extension to overcome this? It's just that I have tried this as a solution and notice there is a slight leak. I don't recall putting any silicone around the pan/coupling when I connected it so I will try that and see if it fixes it. Is the silicone there to assist in sealing or is it simply to aid smooth assembly?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Shouldn't need to add the silicone ....

5. seftonbarn

seftonbarn New Member

The pipe goes straight through the wall (the toilet backs directly onto the external wall). I have used the offset connector that you mentioned but it leaks. Sospan has posted that I don't need silicone so I am at a bit of a loss on what I can do (apart from raise the loo which I do not want to do).

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't remember whether the gasket in pan connector toilet end is fixed, or loose, might have been displaced when fitting to toilet.

Is this a new toilet?

7. seftonbarn

seftonbarn New Member

Yes the toilet is new. From Bathstore.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Normally the toilet seals work fine by themselves without the need for silicone.

Is toilet outlet above or below the pipe?
    And have you checked the toilet outlet is perfectly round. I have seen defective ones shipped where the outlet is slightly oval

9. seftonbarn

seftonbarn New Member

The toilet outlet is probably a few millimeters above the soil pipe.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

That is the ideal position.

Did you try something like this ?

[​IMG]

seftonbarn likes this.
  11. seftonbarn

seftonbarn New Member

Sorry Sospan; what am I thinking of. The toilet pipe is probably a few mm below the soil pipe not above it. And yes; the picture you have cleverly included is exactly what I have used.

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Unless you adjust it you will always have problems as your essential try to push water up hill and you will always have stuff collecting in the pipe

The only options are to lower the soil pipe or raise the toilet a little by packing out under the base.
    Quite often the soil pipes are fitted in oversize holes and it may be possible to loosen underneath the soil pipe and lower it

seftonbarn likes this.
  13. seftonbarn

seftonbarn New Member

Okay. That's going to be fun. Thanks for your advice.

14. Try a quality off set like from McAlpine and see how you get on, as been said water going up hill is not the best thing. A few mill should not be to much of a problem many have worked in the past but you have to try things before. You have to make sure the off set is pushed all the way in to the soil pipe and the toilet pan, and make sure there is no stress on the fitting.

seftonbarn likes this.
  15. seftonbarn

seftonbarn New Member

I managed to steal about half an inch on the soil pipe (which still has downward fall). The toilet outlet is now above the soil pipe. I replaced the offset connector with a straight connector fro wickes (which now has a fall) but it is still leaking. Spoke to bathstore and they said it must be a dodgy pan connector.

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The half inch will make all the difference.

Once the concertina end goes well into the soil pipe there is very little chance of it leaking. The only possibility is around the collar that goes on the toilet outlet.

I would check the outlet from the pan is exactly circular and there an no groves or chips.

17. Two pan connectors and both leak there must be a problem with the toilet pan outlet, I have had some which are slightly oval and have leaked just returned them.