Two Silly Little Problems

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by ibanezman, Oct 31, 2015.

1. ibanezman

ibanezman Member

Two things are annoying me in the kitchen;
    1. I have a standard 240v outlet (picture below, but it's not going to be a surprise), but only 50% of it is working. Any idea why, and presumably the fix will be to assume the outlet is US and just replace the whole outlet?
    2. The downlighters in the pictures below blow bulbs for a pastime. Literally replaced the two in there about 3 weeks ago and they've both gone again. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Those sockets are renown for failing on one side or the other. Just replace it.

Those downlights often have loose connections where the lamp holder makes contact with the bulb - You may thing the lamp has failed, but it way be a poor connection. I would swap them out for a pair of JCC LED3 if it was me :)

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Just replace the socket, it's fairly common for one side to go u/s. As for the lamps, are they mains (GU10) or 12 volt? if 12 volt it could be the transformer/s that have failed rather than the lamps themselves.

4. Lectrician

Looks like R50's to me.

5. ibanezman

ibanezman Member

Ok, 50% of problems resolved - just replaced the outlet and it's fine.

The lamp holder is 230v, but I can't see a part number on them. Pretty sure it's the lamp which has failed, as it doesn't work in a different lamp holder (that works fine). But presumably a faulty lamp holder could/would cause the lamps to fail if it were faulty? Is there a part number at SF for the JCC LED3s?

6. Lectrician

SF don't do them, Google.

7. ibanezman

ibanezman Member

100% of problems resolved.

I'm impatient and I only live about 500 yards from my local SF, so found an equivalent LED downlighter and have now got working sockets and downlighters. Hurrah!

Thanks for all the help :)

8. Lectrician

If you had got the JCC, you would have a ten year warranty :)