Ducted fan for re-circulating heat from stove?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by stevomcd, Dec 1, 2015.

1. stevomcd

stevomcd New Member

Anyone ever used a ducted ventilation fan of some description to re-circulate warm air in a room?

We have a very high ceiling in our living room (nearly 6m at the high end!). It's sloped, so a ceiling fan is a bit awkward. Behind the stove, there is a false chimney breast hiding the actual ducting from our stove and the downstairs neighbours. I could easily fit a fan at the top to suck in hot air from near the roof, run a duct down to floor level, and blow it back out into the room. Could even blow it over/under/around the stove to get better air distribution in the first place. Would also be neat to run it automatically either based on temperature near the roof or difference in temp from floor to roof.

Good idea / very bad idea? Anyone got any advice in suitable hardware?

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Not quite sure of the question, is the 'stove' log/solid fuel, ? Or a gas fire?
    This type of appliance rely on natural flow of air for combustion

Installing a fan system can be a problem.

you have to consider the possibility of drawing the products of combustion ie CO. in to the room!

Regards
    Peter

3. stevomcd

stevomcd New Member

It's a wood-burning stove. As we have a very high ceiling, it's not unusual to have the roof-space feeling like a sauna while it feels chilly at floor level.

A ceiling fan or stove fan would be the obvious solution, but i have the opportunity to do something neater by running a duct from ceiling height down to floor level and sticking a fan in it. To be clear, this is just re-circulating room air, the stove flue is vented outside completely separately.

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    If the stove was fuelled by gas, it's basic safety to carry out a spilage test with fan on high and low, and boiler high and low.

With solid fuel, it's a bit more hit and miss, but if you test the system and aware of the potential danger, and fit a co detector it should be fine.

I only say this as you seemed to ask for thoughts on the planned project,

Regards
    Peter

5. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

I can't see any problem with what you've planned, other than running the duct in the false chimney breast - does the flue run up it, or is it seperate?

6. Hi Steve.

Absolutely nothing wrong with your idea - in principle.

In practice, I wonder if it would feel a bit like an electric fan heater - an obvious flow of warm air, which can feel very unpleasant.

I would also be careful about how any of that air is ducted over the actual stove - a part of your question. Certainly I'd do nothing to upset the natural convection flow over the stove, as this is what makes the stove naturally heat the room and prevents it from possibly overheating and possibly causing the casing to warp or crack. So if you do decide to duct the heat down to floor level, I think I'd make sure it blows nicely away from the stove - perhaps have the duct under the stove (has it got legs?) or from the sides. I wouldn't go anywhere around the top of the stove.

Really, tho', I think I'd personally go for the tried and trusted solution - a ceiling fan. Many models can be fitted to sloping ceilings, although if it's a severe slope you may need to built a shaped 'plinth' for it to mount on the ceiling first.

Ceiling fans do work - they gently circulate the whole air up there, and not just draw in the warm air into a smallish duct like wot you are planning. They are virtually silent (certainly at slow speeds, which is what you'd want), distribute the hot air evenly around every wall, and also look great - they are not naff provided they do a proper job! And you can get all sorts of styles from traditional (wicker?) to modern (BLACK!).

Seems crazy to me to try and reinvent the wheel.

Although probably not powerful enough for your needs, have you seen these automatic heat-driven fans that you sit on top of your stove? They are powered by the heat! And are meant to gently circulate the heat out forwards from the front of the stove, so it doesn't chust go straight up to the ceiling. Fascinating things, tho' I doubt it would be powerful enough for your needs.

7. ashtreefarm

ashtreefarm New Member

Hi, search the internet for "air destratification systems". Although they are aimed at more commercial type systems, they would be worth considering due to your ceiling height.
    http://www.airius.co.uk/our-destratification-products
    This company do a small powered fan unit accommodating ceiling heights from 2.5 to 38 metres.
    I would suggest you speak to a technical person to specify the correct units for your application.
    Here's another company who are also well known in the industry
    http://www.ambirad.co.uk/en/uk/dest... Search Network&utm_campaign=Ambirad Products