Connecting gas cooker bayonet

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by msm, Aug 16, 2004.

1. msm

msm New Member

Ok, quick question please. I have a cooker with a standard flexi hose attached, and gas fitting in my kitchen with a gas tap with a bayonet fitting. Is it just a matter of plugging the bayonet end of my hose into the bayonet fitting? And do i need to get a corgi approved person to do this? Sorry about the simplicity of this question, but i'm new to all this and have searched but no luck.

Matt

2. blahblah

blahblah Guest

No simple answer I'm afraid. You can plug it in yourself but not under all circumstances. If you are fitting a new cooker then no you can't. If you have got a second hand cooker or have inherited it with the new house (and you didn't unplug it), then no you can't as it needs to be safety checked first.
    Lots of ifs and buts- what are ther circumstances?

3. msm

msm New Member

I took it out a previous house and moved it into a new house. Like i said, no work has been done to either, it is just a matter of plugging in the bayonet.

Thanks for your help,

Matt

4. blahblah

blahblah Guest

You're ok then.

5. msm

msm New Member

Thank you for very much your advice. Just a couple of questions:

There was no rubber seal on the bayonet on the hose- how does it create a gas tight seal with the tap?

Under what conditions can you not connect it yourself. I assume a new (or second had of unknown origin) is not guranteed to be safe whereas one disconneted from an exisitng supply was obviously safe up to that point> Would you recommend getting someone in to review the connection at a later date or possibly when I get someone to service the boiler?

Again, thanks very much for the advice, i'm a complete novice at this!

Matt

6. Bahco

Bahco Guest

Novice should not be touching gas in any circumstances!
    I have about 10 yrs experience plumbing but will not touch gas at any price as I have not been fully trained in gas safety.
    Spend the £50 or so and have peace of mind that a qualified person has installed it safely!

7. jmcbuilders

jmcbuilders New Member

MSM they sometimes leek. I have been around to many homes were they can smell gas. Have sniffed around back of cocker and it is leeking at the bayonet. If you smell gas turn it off get it tested. When i say sniffed i use a gas sniffer. I also do a drop test. Don't forget stability bracket or chain. JMc

8. John@KC

John@KC New Member

Does Max Boyce know about this?

9. blahblah

blahblah Guest

And spaniels do tend to leak when bayonetted!

10. bilco

bilco New Member

11. ormus1

ormus1 New Member

the seal is made by the rubber seal in the female part of the fitting. the male has no rubber.

(reading the above now seems a bit funny?)

12. Damocles

Damocles New Member

modern inventions to prevent stuff getting where you dont want it. As ever the female bears the final responsibility.

What is the logic that a manufacturer can produce a brand new gas appliance and get it delivered to your house, but you can not plug it in, wheras you can take one which has been in your family for 80 years, rattle it about inadequately packed in a van and then plug it in? Why is it reasonable to assume the new one will be less safe than the old one? Are cooker manufacturers known for their carelessness?

13. blahblah

blahblah Guest

You can't plug in the new one because it won't have the hose attached. It needs fitting, testing and commissioning. Your old one already has a hose attached (or you can't do it). That's the logic.

14. Damocles

Damocles New Member

so why do cookers not come with hoses attached? Surely this would be much more sensible than having to call in an expensive technician to attach it after delivering it?

15. blahblah

blahblah Guest

Because the length may not be correct.
    Moreover, because people would be more likely just to plug them in and use them without having them properly commissioned and tested.
    (Right thread this time).

16. carl42

carl42 New Member

This is a bit off topic, but the general gist of alot of the treads in this forum is get a Corgi in to do gas work....Has anyone tried to get a registered plumber recently? I live in the south east and had a gas fire fitted recently, the blokes finished the job and my missus paid the balance. I was not happy with the job (gas pipe sticking 3 inches off the floor, mangled brass fitting etc)) and called the company to complain and basically was told to **** of. I then tried to get a Corgi in to quote for a re-fit, contacted 8 Corgis' over 6 weeks - 5 no shows, 2 turned up but never heard from them again and the last one I am still waiting......I know I could do a better job myself.

17. Damocles

Damocles New Member

Other people have also posted problems actually getting hold of a corgi. Never mind what they have done when they got there. If corgi meant good service then all these posts slagging them off wouldnt be here.

18. navplum

navplum New Member

THIS MUST BE A RECORD A TOPIC ON GAS AND DOORMOUSE AND PLUMFACE HAVENT POSTED ABOUT HOW GREAT THEY ARE

19. plumface

plumface New Member

welcome back navplum,and stop SHOUTING!

20. plumface

plumface New Member

navplum,where have i sad how great i am?Any way as for not replying, all these latest topics and posts have all been 'gone over' with time and time again,still funny watching the same people reply with exactly the same answers as before though.Why reply?they are obviously meant to wind people up,and its exactly what the original author wanted!