matt or silk

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by chelsea, Aug 17, 2004.

1. chelsea

chelsea New Member

ive just had my house plastered and im painting the walls and ceiling which paint shall i use MATT OR SILK same for doors GLOSS OR EGGSHELL any advice thanks

2. Dewy

Dewy New Member

What type of finish is up to your own preference.
    Tell someone to use silk and they are likely to use it and then complain that the original matt looked better.
    It's horses for courses.
    I prefer matt on the ceiling and silk on walls but that's just my own preference.

3. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Chelsea,

Well just to confuse you more I prefer matt on both ceilings and walls. I also prefer gloss on doors and skirting. My reason is that the matt finish is softer to lighting as it is non reflective and gloss paint always looks clean and sharp. The shine of silk shows imperfections in the wall as well.

Having said this I think that silk finishes are a bit easier to clean marks off so if you have jam fingered kids then silk may be better.

I use a cheap B&Q emulsion as the first coat and always Dulux for the top coat. Similarly I use Dulux Once gloss which goes on well and looks good for a long time.

I am sure many will disagree with my choice but it might help you reason out your choice.

DWD

4. Dud

Dud New Member

Ive always done matt on walls and celings, Gloss on skirting, coveing and Doors.

5. carl42

carl42 New Member

I agree matt for ceiling and walls, gloss for woodwork. Dunno why but I always seem to end up with Dulux after trying Crown, Trade and various own brands