Cement for washing machine

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by lensman, Aug 24, 2004.

1. lensman

lensman New Member

I've got a utility room with a suspended floor. Despite stiffening the joists, the washing machine thumps around on it and (apart from being noisy) the vibration seems likely to eventually destroy the flooring.

What I'd like to do is build a solid plinth under the section of floor supporting the washing machine - level with the present joists so that the floorboards can be replaced. This would need a block about 70x60cm area, and 25cm deep (down to the concrete floor underneath).

My plan is to build a temporary wooden former around the area then pour concrete up to the required level. A few questions:

(1) Is this a sensible plan? If not, then any other ideas for stopping the vibration?

(2) What mix of sand/cement would be good for this? How much shrinkage is likely on drying, and how long would it be before the washing machine could be put back?

(3) Foundation floor is concrete screed with a bitumin layer. How should I key the new concrete block onto it?

2. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Lensman,

Before you go to all this work try this as an experiment. I always put a piece of old carpet under the washing machine as this helps to slide it in and out and also to deaden the noise and vibration. If it is particularly bumpy then put two pieces of carpet with the underlay uppermost.

I did this for my Dad and it worked a treat.

DWD

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

another though
    is the machine sitting properly on all four feet
    when it starts dancing try inserting a lever
    under one side gently lift a few mm
    then reapeat on the other side
    hopfully one side with more support will cure
    the problem

also are you shure its not loose concrete weight
    knackerd dampers or broken springs
    or a blockage in the drain pump
    causing the machine to try and spin before the
    water emptyed properly

big all

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

should of course be partial blockage

5. lensman

lensman New Member

Hi guys. Machine is very new and doesn't vibrate when running on a solid concrete floor in the nearby garage. Very likely adding in some carpet will reduce the problem, but I'd rather get rid of it completely if possible.

6. ormus1

ormus1 New Member

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

another tack lensman

what size where your joist on your floating
    floor how far appart where they and where
    they sitting [or bouncing] on the floor

just an attempt to cure your problem
    [no insults sarcasm here on purpoes] yet

big all

8. lensman

lensman New Member

what size where your joist on your floating
    floor how far apart where they and where
    they sitting [or bouncing] on the floor

Joist spacing is 40cm. Floor is 18mm marine ply. I suspect that a lot of the problem is that there's an access hatchway in the middle of the floor, so the joists aren't continuous
    across the width.

9. big all

big all Screwfix Select

did you double up on the joist
    either side of the hatch
    and if nesisery the trimmers

big all

10. nigel

nigel Guest

If the machine is set level it should not vibrate at all.

11. lensman

lensman New Member

did you double up on the joist either side of the hatch
    and if nesisery the trimmers

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean! Could you re-phrase more simply please.

12. lensman

lensman New Member

If the machine is set level it should not vibrate at all.

Untrue. If the washing load is not perfectly balanced then there will be vibration - particularly during the spin cycle. Each turn of the drum throws the weight of the wet clothes up and down, causing the machine to bounce. If the
    spin is fast enough, then the machine would actually jump into the air on each turn.

13. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

If the
    spin is fast enough, then the machine would actually jump into the air on each turn.

Irrelevant post by me - but above is not true. The faster the spin, the less movement will occur.

I'm with DWD on this one though - amount of vibration has nothing to do with the surface the machine is on, all that can contribute to is the noise created.
    Padding underneath would practically eliminate that.

Tango

14. nigel

nigel Guest

The machine contains a counter balance and shock absorbers to kill all movement, if the machine is in good working order and not overfilled you should be able to stand a pencil on end on top without fear of it falling over.Any padding under a machine will reduce the stability of the machine and should be avoided.

15. big all

big all Screwfix Select

is your trapdoor wider than 40cm
    in otherwords have you had to cut a joist to put it in
    if you have you have to use trimmers to transfer the
    load to the ajacent joists if the load is great enough
    you need to double up on the ajacent joists for strenth

clear as mud eeehhh

big all

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Un-suspend the joists under the washing machine with legs.
    Bit of timber, same as your joists, about 10 inches
    long/high, bit of dpc on floor, screw or bolt to joist
    (2 or 3 in each leg). Take up the weight of the joist when fixing the leg with length of timber as lever. Replace floorboards. Jump up and down on it(just for fun)
    Handyandy - really

17. sparny

sparny New Member

I put my washing machine in a cupboard in my bathroom and doubled up the joists underneath and tied them together nice and solid. Washing machine still jumped around though and the floor was like a drum amplifying the sound. So I used 3 sheets of old rubber conveyor belting about 10mm each underneath to dampen the vibrations. This worked a treat and we can barely here it now at it spins into orbit upstairs. I was really amazed at the difference.

18. lensman

lensman New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm going to try doubling up the joists and un-suspending them, plus stand the machine on a bit of flotex.

19. youdiscussedme

youdiscussedme New Member

did this end up working?

20. Almost certainly it did. (But this is an old thread)

Washing machines don't 'need' a solid floor - suspended timber ones should be just fine. However, if the joists are at their limit of size for the job, then you can have too much springiness. Doubling the joists is an obvious - tho' awkward - solution.