Faulty Dewalt Mitre Saws !!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by jj, Sep 19, 2004.

1. jj

jj New Member

Looking for a sliding compound mitre saw and thought the DW712 looked about right. However, found this post... A bit worrying ?? Anyone heard of this or can substantiate it ??

"Any DeWalt DW712 (and possibly DW708) mitre saws made before 12/2003 have a design flaw which means that trenching and mitre cuts are inaccurate. Basically, the saw head moves on a trajectory which is sloped by approximately 1:100 compared to the baseplate.

To confirm whether a saw has this fault, set the trenching height to be exactly level with the basplate at one end of the saw head's travel, and then move it to the other end. You will probably find that the saw blade is now at a different height.

This isn't an issue when crosscutting through wood at 90 degrees, but at 45 degrees there will be a 3mm inaccuracy across a 300mm width of cut.

I have contacted DeWalt about this on many occasions, and have finally found someone who is apparently working very hard to help me get hold of a post-12/2003 model (in which the faulty casting(s) has been replaced). This is proving very difficult for him, as no attempt is being made at the DeWalt warehouses to differentiate the faulty saws from the correctly made ones. Not only that, but DeWalt's overall company policy appears to be to continue shipping the faulty saws to suppliers for sale to their customers - They justify this by pointing out that only a very small percentage of users report any problem. Having checked about 30 saws, I have yet to see one which does not have this fault

2. GEORGIE BOY

GEORGIE BOY New Member

I never knew a Dewalt saw that was accurate. When i was started making pine furniture 15 years ago i bought a dewalt radial arm saw, after spending 2 days putting it together i could never get it to cut square, so i sold it and bought another make which is still going today. I have never rated their saws.

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo jj

not quite the same

but ive had to send my jigsaw back twice[both out the box]
    were cutting at a two degree angle so no good for
    a strait cut
    sourced a new and cheaper supplier as good as you
    would expect now

and ive seen people on here moaning about dewalt
    drill chucks
    so maybee they are making them down to b+d
    standards now

big all

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

sorry it looks like your i i

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

not jj

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

sorry

7. handiandi

handiandi New Member

I'm sorry but I wouldn't buy a Dewalt tool if they were the last on earth. They are way over priced for what they are and do. There are alot of excellent products out there by other manufacturers at a third of the price and less.

8. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo handiandi

couldnt agree with you more thats why i went for
    the 18v dw933 when it was £175 not the £333
    or recomended £500 price i think 66% reduction
    is approaching a fair price

big all

9. jj

jj New Member

Ok, so looking for an equivalent to the Dewalt, any recommendations ??

10. mj

mj Guest

I've had a dw708 for approx 18 months & it's the dogz nutz!
    I tried makita/dewalt before buying & found the dewalt to be more accurate.
    Having tried makita, bosch etc, i've gone back to using dewalt for routers, cordless drills (they don't change every year like the afore mentioned)& mitre saw reliability has always been good for me.
    My old faithfull elu/dewalt mof177 is 16 years old & had a bit of hammering, but still cuts good worktop joints!

11. chappers

chappers Member

I have a 712 that I bought in May 2003 I have cut loads of half laps and bridles (both 90degrees and mitred) and have not had any problems.
    The saw is excellent if a little underpowered and I would say the most accurate I have ever used, with now lateral movement at all.
    will check mine tomorrow.
    would agree with Andy on the rest of Dewalts stuff though( who thought it would be a good idea to put plastic gears in a cordless)

12. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

I read this thread last night went out to the workshop and my saw is out too.

The problem only becomes apparent with trenching and compound cuts. I've had problems with these and checked the saw several times but not checked if the carridge ran square to the base. I thought I was loosing my touch.

Got onto DeWalt today, they say there is no problem and the saw just needs re-adjusting, and will send me details of how to do it. I will keep you informed.

Thanks for the info.

Keith

13. jj

jj New Member

You'd be hard pushed to correct a faulty casting, if thats what the problems appear to be - What model is yours ? It may (hopefully) just need adjusting

Anyone else recommend a saw ?

14. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Mines the 712, bought it in May last year and have been very happy with it, I don't do much trenching or compound cutting so it has not been a problem.

I've looked at the machine and can see no way this can be adjusted, but the guy at DW was adament it could be, so I will have to wait and see what instructions they send.

Worst case senario would be to make a tilting jig to compensate when trenching but compound cutting would be more of a problem to compensate for.

15. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo woodsmith

in my humble oppinion you would be entitled
    to a repair even if out of warranty because
    it was faulty when you bought it
    sale of goods act not fit for purpose and all that

thats if it wont adjust

big all

16. wood butcher

wood butcher New Member

if this machine is supposed to be a precision tool then it should work within given tolerances if not then it is a contravention of the trades description act if the makers will not do anything to rectify it.
    tell them this and if you have no joy then go to trading standards they will sort it out.
    WB

17. jj

jj New Member

Looks like I have openned a can of De Worms ??

But thought I should post my findings, I didn't want the full blown 12" saw as I needed small accurate cuts for mouldings etc. Imagine my surprise to then learn that it probably isn't !

I suppose if it can be guarnateed that a 2004 model can be shipped it still might be worth ordering one ? but if what the original post suggests "at 45 degrees there will be a 3mm inaccuracy across a 300mm width of cut" makes you wonder about their other products - suggest you all check your De Walts....

18. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

If this turns out to be a faulty casting and not adjustable I will not be letting this go.

jj where did you learn of this problem?

19. jj

jj New Member

20. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

jj, it would appear that mollusc is right, I have got DW to agree to change my saw but when I went to swap it the one they were going to exchange it for had the same fault.

They are ordering some more and will get me one in a couple of weeks.

I must say I really like this saw, the shop I bought it from has offered to refund my money but I would rather swap it; so the saga continues.