Patination oil for lead flashing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by bobcat, Sep 27, 2004.

1. bobcat

bobcat New Member

Hi, Is there an alternative to Patination oil for coating lead flashing? £16 for a litre seems a bit over the top and all I want is a tiny bit - is it worth while anyway?? Cheers

2. doitall

doitall New Member

3 in 1 oil and parafin

3. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

4. Dewy

Dewy New Member

You beat me to it Kandy.
    I was about to say that a search would find that recent thread. ;)

5. nyck

nyck New Member

I think it is worth it.It makes the lead go a deep grey colour.I left a spare piece out side after only a few days it started going patchy and white with out the oil.
    I found out after i bought a bottle Wickes sell small metal bottle for £5

nyck

6. ChrisR

ChrisR New Member

I built a car port and used lead flashing to seal above a polycarbonate section. I didn't seal it and now there are nasty white streaks down the whole thing!!

I built a large P-shaped conservatory not long back and used loads of lead flashing (££££!!!). I bought one of Wickes' little £5 pots of patination oil and treated the lot (used less than half the oil surprisingly). Not had one bit of trouble - lead looks good and there are no streaks on the roof! Glad I built the carport first (far cheaper mistake!!).

One to learn by!!!!

7. bobcat

bobcat New Member

Thanks to you all, I will try one of these methods, I was in Wickes last night aswell and didn't think to look - damn!!

8. mr_refurb

mr_refurb New Member

use diesel on a rag works wonders even though the diesel stinks