Line Level

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by TINO, Oct 1, 2004.

1. TINO

TINO New Member

Can you builder confirm if a line level is true. I am attempting to build a brick garden wall and bought a line level but albeit very light the level pulls the line down is this normal or how do you get the line so tight it will not sag.

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

If you are using the string line to get the level of a course of bricks you don't need the line level. Build up the corners/ends first then stretch the string between these.

To get your corners level use a spirit level and straight edge or a water level if the distance is too long.

Line levels will only give an approx indication of level, they cannot be considered accurate.

Jason

3. Dewy

Dewy New Member

The simplest way to check a level over a distanc eis to use a hosepipe filled with water.
    Water finds its own level so if the water is at the top on both ends it is level.
    It wont matter whether its 1m apart or 100m.

4. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

or even a hundred frigging miles.

5. jasonb

jasonb New Member

But then you would have to make allowance for curviture of the earth, did know how to work it out once but cann't remember now, its a long time since I did any land surveying.

Jason

6. bodget&scarpers

was refering 2 holland,but point taken.

7. GEORGIE BOY

GEORGIE BOY New Member

Buy a laser level, they only cost a few quid nowadays, a line level is about as accurate as guessing

8. Thermo

Thermo New Member

Anyone got any idea where you can get see through hose pipe from to make up a level with?

9. chappers

chappers Member

a shop that sells fishkeeping stuff what ever you call them.

10. chappers

chappers Member

aquatics shop thats the boy

11. bigjules

bigjules New Member

Try Parker Merchanting or Greenhams for water levels or you could try hiring one if for a one off. (HSS??)

12. Ability

Ability Guest

SCREWFIX do a water level kit - 18133 10m long, but you can transfer to a peg then on again as far as you like.

13. bodget&scarpers

ann summers cat,does one but after 24 minites it does b *** a bit sticky, ;)

14. bodget&scarpers

ann summers cat,does one but after 24 minites it does b *** a bit sticky, ;)

15. T

T Member

Got mine from a lawn mower shop.Don't ask me why they stock it but they did.

16. TINO

TINO New Member

Thanks to you all read all your comment with interest. I think I'll bin the line level. thanks again folks.

17. T

T Member

to be honest if its a garden wall it aint that important to get it level, as long as coases run in line. Can be quite effective if you get wall to run with ground level rather than true level.