Cutting out a wooden cylinder

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Zooki, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Zooki

Zooki New Member

hi,

I want to cut out a cylinder shape from a plank of wood. The wood itself is around 1 inch thick. I will use the cylinder to fill a hole in an old pine door.

I was thinking to use a hole saw, but dont they require a drill bit going through the middle? I want to keep the entire cylinder as one piece.

Thanks

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Use a broom handle

3. Zooki

Zooki New Member

Sounds good except i love to have the wood grain showing. I plan on sanding the door afterwards and oiling. The hole is 3cm in diameter.

4. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

You can use a holesaw without the pilot bit, just clamp the piece well and keep it straight to avoid any grabbing, go relatively slow initially as without the pilot the holesaw may try and wander.
    If you're concerned about the bit wandering, keep the pilot bit on and drill a hole through a scrap piece, then remove the pilot and clamp the scrap piece to your other bit of wood, you can then use the hole created in the scrap piece to act as a guide for your final piece.

SWBUILDERS, tore81 and Zooki like this.
  5. Zooki

Zooki New Member

Never used holesaw before. Are the pilot bits removable on them all? Can you show me on Screwfix which arbors / holesaws I may need.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The drill bit is removeable on all of them.

Zooki likes this.
  7. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

All should be removable, they'll come with an allen key to adjust the pilot bit just unscrew and pull it out completely. I like the bosch powerchange holesaws but for a one off job I'd just get a cheapy one.

Zooki likes this.
  8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

What is the diameter of the hole you want to plug?
    What will the finish of the door be, wax, oil, varnish.
    Where on the door is the hole?

Zooki likes this.
  9. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

i used cut lots of plugs by drilling throu a peice of ply. take out pilot and use the peice of ply to hold the drill in place. you will find that u need a drill a bit larger than the bit u want to allow for the saw cut thickness.

Zooki likes this.
  10. Zooki

Zooki New Member

30mm diameter
    It is all the way through, seems like there was a cylinder lock in the past. Its full of white wood filler, which I am removing. The doors were dipped and all paint removed which shows up their history. Door will be coated in clear satin Osmo oil.

11. Zooki

Zooki New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies! :) much appreciated

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Cylinder locks are 32mm dia.

13. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Another option could be to get a good sharp chisel and square the hole up

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

posted the same time

wiggy likes this.
  16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Very thin door if a cylinder from 1" plank will fill, or are you looking to put 2 in and plane down?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

If you put the hole saw in a drill press, then you have almost no chance of the hole saw wandering. ;)

18. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select