Unlipped door ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Dams, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Dams

Dams New Member

Hi all.

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but, I have to replace a door in our flat, and as I was looking for a new one, I came across the word "unlipped".
    As english is not my mother tongue, I am not really familiar with that term.
    I have looked online but can't seem to find an explanation.

Can anyone explain what is an "unlipped" door?

Thank you.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I have no idea and English is my mother tongue and I'm a chippie.
    What are the dimensions of your door and what do you want the new one to look like?

3. An unlipped door does not have a fore edge on it.
    I.E like say a door blank.

4. Dams

Dams New Member

Thank you for your replies.
    The door will be a flush, white, 762 x 1981 that I have to reduce to 1970, nothing special, but I was curious about this "unlipped" term.
    I have learned another word..."chippie".

5. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I know howdens do lipped and unlipped flush doors, unlipped just has the exposed softwood structure, the lipped has a hardwood lipping down the long edges.
    Doesn't make a lot of difference in my opinion, the lipped edges will be a little easier to paint and won't have knots in like you'll find on the edges on an unlipped door, so will make it a bit easier to plane down.

6. Dams

Dams New Member

Thank you

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

He's got 5mm to take off either side so not much lip left.

8. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

OP's only mentioned the height that needs reducing by 11mm, lipping's only on the long edges.
    However still something to bare in mind that if the width needs reducing much that you could end up taking most if not all of the lipping off.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Too much red wine :oops::oops: