Which Router Bit set to get around £20-£30?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wau5, Jan 16, 2017.

1. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Hello Sirs , I bought the katsu 1/4 router and now need some router bits for it.
    I'm not really sure what brands are decent when it comes to router bits, but I want to get a set of 10-15 cutters that I could use ocassionally, the plan is to get some kind of Ok'ish quality set at first and than Buy some better quality individual cutters once I see which ones I need the most.

I have had a set of those cheap £10 bits in past where you get 12 of them in a wooden box and I thought myself they were ok for the price, but really want to get something a bit more quality this time since I will probably be using this small router much more than the huge 1/2 router I had in past.

2. K Kahlon

K Kahlon New Member

3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I tend to use a mix of Titman and Wealden bits.
    Never brought a set, just buy a few and then buy more as you need the profiles.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

K Kahlon and Joe95 like this.
  5. K Kahlon

K Kahlon New Member

its a good set for starters and also not pricey.

So fits the budget of OP £20-£30

Ps I also use Titman and Wealden.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

One thing router cutters, they breed, start off with a few, & before you know you have dozens.
    Some years ago, a tool shop was closing down, & I bought about 150 cutters 1/2" & 1/4" at a give way price, just too good to miss.:)

Pollowick and Joe95 like this.
  7. K Kahlon

K Kahlon New Member

tell me about it I have like 100's lying around in the shed myself.

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

As suggested the TREND set will be a good start.

Trend and Titman cutters for me.

9. diy_dave

diy_dave New Member

Astramax likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can get imperial and metric collet/shank sizes, & they are not compatible,there are also collect a reducer 8mm to 1/4", but I don't know if they are still made, BUT you can't beat using proper size collect, a much safer opinion.

11. Pollowick

The OP may have to go for 8mm as there are not many 6mm cutters sold in the UK.

To the OP: They tend to be 1/4" 8mm and 1/2"

And NEVER try to use a 6mm cutter in a 1/4" collet (or vice-versa) - it could fly out and cause serious injury.

KIAB and Joe95 like this.
  12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

^^^^^^^^take note. This is good advice - they are so close, but NOT the same. :eek:

Pollowick, KIAB and Joe95 like this.
  13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I would never advise anyone to to use the wrong size of collet and have never done it but where I have had a cutter fall out or loosen it would just drop out harmlessly, a buggeringly big cutter in a router table would be a different beast :eek:

Joe95 and Astramax like this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had a large cutter in a spindle moulder fail,the cutter seperated from the shaft, many years ago, it took off skywards & punched a nice hole through the workshop abestos roof.:eek:

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Never knew that will have to check min, I can see on the ebay listing is listed 3/8" and 1/4" collets.

There is a separate listing for the collects individually.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

1/4" is common but 3/8" is around 9.6 mm and I'm not aware of that size.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The last router I bought also had a 8mm collet, I doubt it will ever be used.

19. Pollowick

The ELU 95 and 96 series routers had a 1/4" as standard with an 8 mm option. I have found that with some cutters such as long pocket cutters an 8mm was a better option with longer overall lengths.

Trend have made 3/8" for a long time. I still have copies of their profile guides from around 1990 and those show which of the three imperial shank sizes each cutter was available in.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As have Titman, Whiteside do some 8mm bits.

The 8 mm shank has 58% more cross-sectional area than a 1/4 inch shank.:eek:
    And it's a very popular size in the states.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=69400&cat=,69399&ap=1

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017