bed slats

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by unclebobby, Feb 4, 2017.

1. unclebobby

unclebobby New Member

I bought a bed from bensons, but the quality of the bed slats are shocking. The missus and I do not want to change the entire bed as it was chosen to go with the rest of the room and the rest of the beds on bensons or either **** or way too expensive. Can anyone suggest a different way of fixing these slats to the frame (using the holes in metal frame)? Or maybe I should just buy a sheet up plywood, but it up into strips and fix them to the bed with screws. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

Attached Files:

2. From what I see, the slats go into the end caps? Those end caps push into the holes on the bed frame?

Coach bolts with nuts underneath if so maybe?

Phil the Paver likes this.
  3. unclebobby

unclebobby New Member

yep you are right. Slats go into the cheap end caps and push into the frame.

The only thing about using bolts is that I would have to drill into the metal frame (where the existing hole is) to get another hole on the other side, so that a bolt can pass through it! Not impossible, but a pit of a pain!

4. If you want it solid and secure?

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Short of doing away with the fixing box and bolting the slats direct to the frame, I can't think of any other option.

Use Coach Bolts for a smooth top.

473894_R_Z001.jpg

A solid sheet of ply is not a good idea as the underside of the mattress should have air flow to stop it becoming damp and mouldy.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. unclebobby

unclebobby New Member

Yep you are right, I was going to get a sheet cut into slats if I used that option. Okay, well it seem like coach screws are the way forward!

thanks

7. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Metal self tappers?
    Agree that solid sheet of ply wouldn't be good.

8. Phil the Paver

Bolts not screws, entirely different thing.

9. Phil the Paver

Did think of those, but the frame looks very thin metal so didn't think there'd be much bite, but having said that its only got to stop them sliding.

10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

You can buy slats from ikea

11. Acme bolts?

Not sure about the heads, personally.

How thick are the slats? Can you pull the head of the bolt into them ?

12. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Yeah I'd think they'd do the job, could always ad a blob of CT1 or similar aswell, belt and braces and all that. Would be quicker than bolts all the way through anyway although undoubtedly the latter would be stronger overall, probably overkill for the application.

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Fit them with the end caps and screw(self-tapper) right through them into the frame. Double-bubble.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. Phil the Paver

15. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I've made new slats for the fold up beds that we have at work,in our hotel. Those slats are rubbish. Make new ones with 2 stripes of 9mm ply slightly curved and glued together

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The slats are tensioned with a curve to them probably made by a steaming process.

17. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Those plastic caps are a standard fixing for slatted beds.
    What do you hope to achieve by changing the fixing method?
    If the bed is uncomfortable its more than likely the mattress.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Maybe a splinter up the jacksie has forced 'a required remedial action'.

wiggy likes this.
  19. Phil the Paver

Are they, I've never seen them before, every bed with slats I've had, 3 I think, only had the slats screwed down, to be fair though they all had wooden frames.:)

20. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I have the same bed. Leather though. Easier to keep clean