How do electronic / magnetic door entry locks work?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by dvddvd, Feb 12, 2017.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi thinking of fitting an electronic catch or magnetic lock to a door which does not have an handle on it.

I know about you can buy lock on power failure or un lock on power failure feature.

How do they work on entry and exit? I know you have a delay board so you press the button and you have say 10 secs to exit.

But if you press the button on a magnetic one and open the door, then go outside and leave door open and after 10 seconds the magnetic field will come back on and try to shut it after that? I can see on an electronic latch one it could be just pushed shut again without pushing the button but on a magnetic one ?thanks

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The maglock magnet would energise, and when the door got close to be being shut, the magnet will suddenly pull the last few mm or so. The door would then be secure again.

All maglocks will fail safe (open) when power is removed, so during a power failure, you would want a battery backed power supply.

3. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi thanks, but if the magnet is one that fits on the door edge a rebated one ? How would that work ?

4. Lectrician

Link to the type of lock you are referring to?

5. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi my mistake i thought the magnetic electric part could be rebated into the door frame and the metal plate could be fixed into the door edge, but it seems it has to be all external with a l bracket?

I wanted a way to keep a door shut/latched without using a door handle and catch? Maybe a electric latch would be more pleasing to the eye? With a button on the inside and either a keypad or button on the exterior.

I will have a deadbolt lock too. Its just a way to keep it latched without using a door closer or having a handle ? thanks

6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

You will require a means of getting in, it could be a key switch or a proximity reader etc.
    It does need a little thought as regards a proximity reader failure and means of ingress in that situation, unfortunately most clients i deal with do not think of the bigger picture as far as emergencies/system failure go, which is where I come into my own.

7. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi thanks, ive thought of lots of ways to have a front door without a handle, i will be having a 5 leaver dead lock too.

Simplest way would be to have a Yale type night latch, but then there's always the chance of getting locked out and having to keep your key on you, then there's a roller catch but not that secure for a front door, so i started looking at electronic ways ? magnetic, electric catch etc.

Trouble with electronic ones is what happens when it breaks etc or power failure.

It is a contemporary style door so it might be quite keeping with the contemporary style to have a button to release the catch ? any other suggestions ?

8. I probably don't quite understand what you are after.

But what about screwfix item 35788 ? Something as simple and unobtrusive as that ?

9. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

im fitting a new front door, its a flush oak door with large pull handle. I don't want a handle and latch on it just the 1400mm stainless steel pull handle.

I will be having a 5 lever lock on it for locking on an evening etc. most of the time the door is unlocked, but don't want to lock it everytime its shut.

So need something that can hold the door shut without locking it. Don't want a door closer, also don't want a night latch.

Ive looked at non electrical magnetic catches and roller ball catches but don't think they would be strong enough for a front exterior door?

So started looking down the route of some sort of electric catch or electric magnetic catch?

10. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I did look at the Yale electric night latches but they do look a bit ugly?

11. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

The larger mortice type roller catches are fine for external doors, more than enough adjustment in them to make them need a good shove to open if needed etc , if you're concerned about them blowing open or something then fit a pair. Easiest solution I would say .

12. fire

fire Well-Known Member

There are many maglocks on the market. The most common is the rebated latch type which uses a solenoidal to pull a mechanical leaver on a spring which causes the rebate in the frame to hinge, opening the door regardless of the state of the mortice lock being locked or not.

The others are a high iron content plate and iron core electro magnet which needs power at all times to keep the door locked. If there is a power failure then the magnet de-energises and the door is unlocked. This type is usually used for communal or hallways as in the event of a fire or emergency the doors will all release allowing for quick escape routes.

Then there is the motorised locks which rotate and lock the door when actuated. Many variants of mechanical lever electrically driven locks exist even custom made ones specifically designed for custom applications.

Note that whatever lock you use in combination with a lever mortice lock could well be violating building control regulations. The door if a fire escape and is locked from the inside would require a key to unlock to escape in the event of a fire. This means you would have to go searching to find a key in a toxic smoke filled hallway or room to unlock the door to get out which is why it is against regulations. You need to perform a risk assessment as to what the doors function is for and if it will be used as an escape route in the event of an emergency then a 5 lever mortice lock capable of being locked from the inside would not be suitable.
    In a situation like this you need a night latch which has a thumb turn to unlock the door from the inside and not require a key when exiting.
    Magnetic locks are usually wired to a fire alarm system so in the event the system is triggered it releases the magloocks and opens the doors. That is the main deal breaker for maglocks, 'automated fire safety systems'.

Hope that helps.

13. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi thanks all. I may try a heavy duty roller one to start with they are cheap and easy to fit.

The samsung shs 3320 electronic locks seem to be the modern version of the normal magnetic electronic locks ?

14. Lectrician

Google drop bolts. Rebates into head of frame and top of door.

Apply power to open bolt, door can be opened. Remove power, bolt stays in up open position until the door closes. A magnet lined up with the sensor, the bolt drops.

They need to be lined up well.

[​IMG]

15. Why wouldn't the magnetic door latches - like the one I linked to (have you looked?) - not be strong enough. It's actually like an electronic latch, only uses a perm magnet to control the mechanism instead of an electro-mag.

flush-door-knobs-4.jpg

16. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi sorry I missed your reply, that looks good, do you know who sells them ?

17. Lectrician

18. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I would not recommend drop bolt locks under any circumstances. Designers are the people who like them, because they are barely noticeable.
    They are a ******* of a lock, unless the door closes millimeter perfect every time, they simply will not lock at all. I have already ripped out four this year, and replaced them with mini-mags.
    Sheer locks are another option (and another I hate), they are not visible but also do not allow much 'slack' in the door. If the door does not close fully, it can be forced open much easier.

I personally like mag-locks, because they leave lots of 'slack' for the door. As long as the door returns close to the normal position, they will always lock. On fire doors or escape doors, they must be wired in such a way that the fire alarm will override the lock, and prevent the door from locking. The most common type is the mini-mag variety, as they give a strong hold and are not as obtrusive as full size mag locks.

A strike plate lock is another option. You can get these in different fail modes, some which remain locked in the event of a power failure. They do provide a good level of security, while also being flush to the door.

You then of course need the controller and power supply, and will have to decide on what device to use to allow access, for example, keypad, fob or card. You most certainly do not want a keypad with the built in controller, as these can be ripped open and bypassed ridiculously easily.

For private domestic use, I still think the good old key lock is the best. Electronic locks are not really intended for use in a house, particularly the front door. I would not trust my own house on any type of electronic lock, as I have seen every single type overcome and access gained. If you want a keypad lock then one of these: http://www.screwfix.com/p/codelocks-heavy-duty-push-button-lock/3810j would be another option. I have a similar one on my shed and garage so I do not have to go 'key hunting'. However, these doors also have mortise locks for additional security should I need it.

19. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

To the OP:
    In your house the front door IS an escape door, so it has to fail open, and must be overidden by a fire alarm system.

Joe95 likes this.