UPVC door installed incorrectly?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Dendenden, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Dendenden

Dendenden New Member

IMG_3862.PNG IMG_3863.PNG Hi

I hope someone with more knowledge than myself can confirm my suspicions. Has this door been installed incorrectly?

I understand that the strips keeping the panel in should be on the inside of the building, otherwise they could be levered out, panel removed, and an intruder crawl through?

Please see attached pics.

Thanks in advance, Den.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Correct.

Could glue them I would think, with something like Stixall.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  3. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

You're right in saying that the beading can be removed from the outside and this obviously doesn't make it massively secure. I'd hesitate to say it's been installed incorrectly though, is this a brand new door? I ask as if it's not then older style doors and windows it was more common to be externally beaded than internal, brand new though I'd expect it to be internally beaded but I don't know if there's any regulations that stop manufacturing of external beaded doors and windows.

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

My new expensive slimline uPVC windows are externally beaded :eek:

However, whilst the beads can be removed fairly easily, there are metal brackets holding the glass in place that need a special tool to remove. It would take someone a while to disassemble a window in order to get through it.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

We had a run of break in's here a few years ago, were oiks remove the beading on windows to gain access.

Bodge, you be suprise how quick it can be done with cordless drill.

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I dare say, if someone is determined enough, they will find a way in. My recent attempted break-in before Xmas involved some oiks levering open a front sash with a screwdriver, except they couldn't open it fully. The side and rear window are behind a locked gate so more secure.

I've now installed plenty of lighting (both indoors and outside) and a house alarm. Next door is now an easier option... :p

7. Dendenden

Dendenden New Member

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

8. Working On It

Working On It Member

Externally beaded doesn't mean it's incorrect, units could be stuck down, you defo don't want to glue the beading...if they really want to get in. break the glass or just kick in the bottom panel.

WOI

9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Obviously, from the photo's, that door's been in a long time. Probably correct when it was installed. External doors are there to keep honest people out. ;);)