Symphony kitchens fitting

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Pinks., May 13, 2017.

1. Pinks.

Pinks. New Member

hi guys.
    Need your help. I've recently started fitting kitchens with symphony and I'm finding it a bit difficult to complete a plot in a day. It seems to be taking me long like 2 days. It seems to be getting better on the pace. But it's painful to see other kitchen fitters coming in at 7 am and done by 3pm. Any help or tips to get it going faster would help. Cheers.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The most important thing is that you're doing a good job and building in quality and longevity with the fit.
    The guys that are doing it in a day are either more experienced in site work' more familiar with the product or perhaps less picky.

You do say you're getting quicker, so from that respect you're 'improving'.
    Familiarity with the product will help as will getting a consistent method to your fit and your work flow and having the correct tools.

Have a chat with the other guys, or spend a day with them if they'll let you.

KIAB and Pinks. like this.
  3. chipped1

chipped1 New Member

hi pinks, i have worked for symphony kitchens of 15 years, regularly fit 2 in a day. the key to fitting quick is like CGN says being familiar with the product but also the house types you are fitting.

you also need to be very robotic when fitting. have a set order/process to do it. for e.g: base units, plinth, wall units, then worktops... if you flit about doing a unit here then a handle there you will lose time.

when you have a process that works for you and you know the product, and house type, they will fly in.

Pinks., KIAB and CGN like this.
  4. Pinks.

Pinks. New Member

Thanks I'll try that one. Won't give up. The area manager is good he says keep at it the pace will come. I'm losing money doing it in two days however am doing it to a good standard. Hope this works. CGN thanks for your response too. Let's see how it goes.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's as chipped1 says mate, finding an efficient method of working and sticking to it, you're always going to be slower starting off on an unfamiliar housetype whereas the other fitters are a bit more experienced than you at the moment. Don't be put off though, what I used to do on sites was to get the office staff to print off a copy of every housetype plans there were which I had in a little folder, then I could quietly suss out when I had a spare hour in the evening what my plan of attack would be the following day in whichever plot I was going to be in. Saves time in the day which is the time you earn in.

Pinks. and KIAB like this.
  6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

And get in as early as you can, far more productive in the morning without other trades crashing through the house.

Pinks. and KIAB like this.
  7. Pinks, the most important thing is you get the quality right. As the others have said, the speed will come with product familiarity. Symphony audit there fitters regularly and if the quality isn't there they will get rid of you before you have a chance to speed up. in addition, your fit rate will go up if you produce good quality work. What area are you in? Use your installation manager to help you understand the audit process and there are technical managers who can help.

Pinks. likes this.
  8. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I can't recall ever fitting a kitchen in less than a week.

9. Site work is a bit different than retail! fit prices are designed for 1 day installations on most. if you can do one a day there is good money to be made. £1500 a week is not an unachievable amount for the right fitter on the right site.

10. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

In fairness I probably only do two or three a year but all the same, respect to you guys, one a day is going some.

11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I'm glad you said that......

12. When i was a retail fitter i agree fits were a week (or more). But site work is geared up for speed. Most good fitters are doing a plot per day, and earning good money doing it. To be honest, i wish i had done site work instead of retail. Whilst retail gives more job satisfaction, it also has its headaches. Also, with site work you are not chasing work, quoting jobs, redesigning, etc. Also, you are not dealing with stroppy customers who expect a howdens kitchen to look like a Smallbone. There is so much site work available i think it is the way forward. it pays well and you don't have the stress!!!

Pinks. likes this.