[Photos] Very noisy plastic pipe connections when valves are opened and closed?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by RipGroove, Jun 10, 2017.

1. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Yeah I think that too but I've a had a search around and it seems 25.0mm holes are fine for 22.0mm pipe, which is what I seem to have.

2. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

I was hoping to somehow feed some thin pipe lagging or something through the holes in the joists just to eliminate the horrid plastic on wood noises.

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

NHBC . No Hope Building Cover. !!!

4. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Hahaha, ain't that the truth.

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

just a thought on the pipes going thru holes in wood ,making those squeaky noises .I wonder if fitting the pipe sleeves that you can buy ,over the pipe ,then slide along .may work as it would be a barrier.wind electric insulation tape around b4 sliding into joist..,have I explained that well ????

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Yes they look like the previous version of Hep2O - I have a large number of those and they are never noisy.

If they are, as we think, Hep2O, then yes the joints can be unscrewed and separated, then remade, with a quick squirt of the Hep lubricant. http://www.screwfix.com/p/hep2o-lubricant-400ml/1048r

I agree, the holes do look fairly tight on a lot of those joints but remaking those is a massive task.

7. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

I like that idea, screwfix sell the sleeves? Also wind tape around the pipe or the sleeve?

8. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Awesome, hopefully it's not the actual fittings that are noisy then! And yeah, opening those holes out would be almost impossible.

I'll add pipe sleeves to my potential list of fixes then.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

screwfix code 98443 "tallon snappits" I was thinking cut into 4 inch pieces. wrap a thin piece of cloth around pipe ,put snappit on over cloth ,tight. then bind outside with say duct tape or elec insulation tape.slide along pipe till thru timber . so the plastic tape in contact with wood and doesn't move, the water pipe surrounded by cloth free to move inside snappit. Its possible just snappit on its own may do it.that would be a very quick fix.try it .

10. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Gotcha! Thanks!

11. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

I should definitely be able to do that for the 15mm pipe as the holes in the joists are like 25mm but not sure if I can cram all that in over the 22mm pipe, I'll give it a go.

12. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

I'm not so sure it is pipe expansion (maybe wrong).
    The OP said when hot and cold taps operated.........

By all means do all the things others have suggested but I would suggest more investigation also needed.

For example, which hot and cold taps cause the problem.
    Which hot and cold taps do not cause the problem.

Cannot really tell from the video but it sounds like something rattling about inside the pipework or even air (unless that is the OP holding his phone!).

13. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

ALL hot and cold taps, both showers and 3 cisterns. Something is definitely rattling, something I've not found yet, but hopefully will as I pull more ceiling down. But while I'm in there it wouldn't hurt sorting all expansion issues as well.

14. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Well its not likely to be an expansion problem then.
    Once the hot has reached temperature the 'expansion' noise would stop and the cold is not going to expand anyway.

As it is everything, start with your incoming cold main, the stop tap may have a loose jumper inside it.
    You'll have to work round the house until you find it, possibly something loose inside the boiler.

Bit of a nightmare but good luck :)

15. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

It's actually pretty weird, both the hot and cold pipes make a noise and physically move when just the cold tap is turned on and vice versa. When turning just a cold tap on I'd expect just the cold pipe to make a noise no?

16. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Haha thanks, if I can just dampen or eliminate the noises above the living room then I'd be happy, that's the room where it's most prominent and most annoying as that's the room we chill out in most. The master bedroom is above the living room but so is the en Suite and half of the master bathroom, which is why I want to pull a little more ceiling down to get under the en suite and master bathroom, I should have a pretty good idea where most of the noise is coming from then as it does seem to be eminating from the ensuite/master bathroom floor, I just ran out of time yesterday and didn't quite get enough ceiling down to be under them. Hopefully next Saturday I'll be under there.

17. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

RG, just one small idea.

Is you stop cock Fully Open? Go Check.

18. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Haha good shout but yes I did already check the outside one and the one in the house.

masterdiy likes this.
  19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Dynamite all the pipes!

20. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Quick update, had a local plumber round who confirmed my suspicion that the noise was coming from the joints themselves and that my case was the loudest he'd ever heard!

Real nice guy, suggested that I swap the joints myself for the newer white Hep2O fittings so £30 and an hour later I'd replaced all the joints I can currently access through my ceiling holes and....

The ceiling is now almost silent when any of the cold valves in the house are used! :) But, there is still a very slight noise when the hot valves are used?! (Still MUCH quieter then before).

So maybe I'll get some insulation packed up in the cavities and see if that helps, I have some already so it won't cost me anything so it's worth a try.

Generally though the issue is 90% fixed above the living room, I can still hear the joints in the walls and floors elsewhere in the house but it really doesn't bother me that much so I'll probably replace any other joints as and when I do any other DIY or decorating work near any of them.

Pollowick and masterdiy like this.