Van Security

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by KME Electrical, Jun 12, 2017.

1. KME Electrical

KME Electrical New Member

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit advice on security locks for the rear doors of my NV200.

I'm split between a dead lock, which I'm worried could be prised open with a crowbar?
    Or an external admidillo lock, like the ones fitted on the British gas vans.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Much of a muchness i think, if they want in they will get in.
    I would go on price and what it looks like.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Van safe for tools and alarm is best bet. Or don't leave tools on. I new a guy who never locked his van because he was feed up of the damage done to doors trying to break in. Got up one morning to find the back door ripped open. It wasn't locked. Think they attach a chain to a tow hook and pull off. No lock will stop that

4. KME Electrical

KME Electrical New Member

Yeh I know nothing is 100% secure I'm just wondering which will take longer to get past, the slam lock or armadillo lock?
    I was leaning towards the slam lock but am I right in thinking the door could just be crowbarred open? That's the only thing putting me off them.

5. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

As Wayners said...Van Safe
    I bolted 2 van safes to the floor of my Peugeot Expert van.
    Plus they had locks on them.
    Plus an Alarm.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

They make a T bar and place between back doors, and or hinge. That's chained to a van or car then doors are pulled off. Takes seconds to do it. Locks don't work. Van safe takes a little longer as needs grinder or bolt cutters. Parking up against something helps. Builder I know got done in Feb and been in local rag around me, as crooks targeted vans around Quedgeley glos. He don't normally leave tools on van but was late finish on last day of job. £2000 of stuff gone

7. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

One other thing that might help.
    Why not mark/engrave either a post code on all your tools, or initials/or a trade name.
    I know its a pain, but somehow we need to stop this tool stealing as it costs more than just replacing of tools.

If you price up just to replace what you carry in the van it will shake you just how much it will cost to get back to work.

Wayners likes this.
  8. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I'd recommend a decent stand alone alarm over any locks, obviously additional locks are great, they might stop an opportunist, but a lot of van break ins now are well organised. They'll get in if they want to, and if they can't they'll nick the whole van.
    Separate alarm system , get one that can text/call you when it goes off and track the van. It make getting in any harder but it will give you time to get out to it.
    If you can though I'd fit extra locks too but prioritize an alarm, steering lock too and obd protection.
    As suggested you could mark tools up too, but most of the time where they'll get sold, no one will be asking questions, it'll only help in the very unlikely event that the police find the tools before they're sold on.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have all my power tools etched in more than one place with post code & house number, some of my older tools had my NI number etched on them, making it easy for police to trace you.

10. Ed Ugarte

Ed Ugarte New Member