What is the current cost to install a new combi boiler?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lyn Ratcliff, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I don't buy it sorry mate, £500 is a drop in the ocean when you consider all the grief, costly certification schemes proving competency, expected warranty provided, years of knowledge, threat of jail if a lethality occurs and if something goes wrong with it in the next couple of years I'm sure you wouldn't want to pay for his time to call back and rectify the issue, I'd assume you would expect his revisit to be free of charge?

2. Lyn Ratcliff

Lyn Ratcliff New Member

Well, I hadn't expected all of this. I saw a BAXI, which I think is probably a very good make. I just wanted to know how much it might be to swap it for my current boiler. (Worcester model) I didn't know if I would need a new flue kit as well. I just wanted an idea of how much it might cost to put it in. Thanks for those who have tried to help. x

3. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

A new flue and adjustment of pipework in close proximity to the boiler is definitely required. A condensate pipe and filter is probably required as well and maybe a gas pipe upgrade.

A few questions.
    Is the boiler staying in the same location?
    Is it the same type of boiler being replaced. Combi for combi or system for system.
    Is it currently a HE worcester or standard efficiency?
    Is there a magnetic filter fitted?
    The more info provided the more chance of a rough price.

If someone can fit it for £500 in 4 hours they must be cutting corners big time.

4. Lyn Ratcliff

Lyn Ratcliff New Member

It is staying in the same place, and combi for combi, I don't know about a filter. It's an old one (about 12yrs) and I can no longer get a part for it.

5. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Or a system boiler with a VENTED heat store...get yout hot water straight off the mains without it hanging about in a tank for possibly days on end...

KIAB likes this.
  6. yozzer

yozzer Member

Hey I'm not knocking it I'm just saying £500 for half a days work ain't bad is it what other trades earn that?

7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Same place and combi for combi is good.
    If parts can't be obtained for current model then this means it probably a non He model of boiler.
    An He boiler requires a waste pipe and this can be straightforward if close to a sink or existing waste pipe. If not it's still possible but can require a bit more work.(£££)

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Has advantages,one is cylinder doesn't need to be serviced annually, as it's unpressurised.

9. Lyn Ratcliff

Lyn Ratcliff New Member

So, if I'm replacing a combi boiler for a new combi boiler in the same place, and using the same pipe work would it need anything else?

10. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

What I meant is it would take me double that time to do a similar job correctly.
    It would take me 2 hours to lay dust sheets, unpack tools and materials, drain system and remove current boiler.
    The next few hours to fit boiler and flue, alter pipework, commission and fill out paperwork.
    I'm my opinion £500 for 4 hours work is great(not knocking it either) but I've never made that.
    It takes me 8-10 hours to do a combi for combi boiler swap.
    2 hours of that is just commissioning and paperwork.
    I don't even regard my speed of work as slow.
    Remember if a system isn't commissioned correctly the manufacturer could refuse any warranty repair.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Flue diameter might be different slightly larger, so need bigger hole through wall, if present combi vents through wall.

Old system pipework / radiators for heating would need cleaning,(Magnacleanse ideally or similar), to remove any crud, a magnetic filter(Magaclean Pro 2 perferably) fitted if you haven't got one installed, it will prolong the life of your boiler,etc.

You might be surprised as to how much sludge & crud can be in a old system, did mine here, a few months ago,was shocked!:eek:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  12. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Condensate pipe(waste) from boiler and a magnetic filter.
    Pipework modifications will be necessary.
    A power flush or similar (magnaclease) might be required.

KIAB likes this.
  13. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Fitting a new boiler involves several steps that should all be completed.
    Many iffy installers could miss many of these steps and complete the job quickly at a good price from your viewpoint, and your none the wiser.
    A cheap price isn't always the best but it is hard to see past this for some.

KIAB likes this.
  14. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Best wishes to you too Ms Ratcliff. One thing I do know having spent most of my life running a successful company is when to walk away from customers like you - you're welcome to my opinion on boilers though.

Unless 'mates rates' this is a wind up or you've been had yozzer.
    Best you can get these boilers and a flue is about £870 giving a margin of less than £300.
    Not included the chemicals for cleaning and inhibitor and the mini expansion vessel these boilers also need.
    So probably used the original flue, no flush, no inhibitor, no expansion vessel, no balancing, not properly commissioned and likely not to have been registered as well. Paid cash no doubt?
    Good luck.

Seeing some silly posts on here these days so I'm off for a bit. From what I can see there are only 2/3 GSR on here these days anyway, most have given up. Pity, going back it used to be a lively place with some good banter, the banter is tending towards abuse now. I'll call again in the Autumn.

KIAB likes this.
  15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Too many folks know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

16. yozzer

yozzer Member

Right I'm stating a fact this guy has fitted me 3 boilers now all been in a while now no problems with any all singed off and registered so your knocking other people's work without seeing it which I have fitted boilers and heating systems in the past so I know a bit about and it all looks good to me just because someone does it faster and cheaper don't mean it ain't right

17. Lyn Ratcliff

Lyn Ratcliff New Member

I am really sorry I ever asked the question. I thought I had asked a serious question and wanted a serious answer. I won't bother with this site again.