Cheap table saw vs mitre saw for cross cuts.

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Krzysztof Korotko, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Krzysztof Korotko

Krzysztof Korotko New Member

Hi,

I'm planning to start DIY so a total beginner here.
    I want to start building small boxes and cases and need accurate 90 and 45 angles.

Cheap mitre saw aren't very accurate from what I hear and cheap table saw are even worse.
    However, a simple sled can make very accurate cross cuts on any table saw if the blade is straight.

Is my understanding correct? Can I make a cheap table saw accurate?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can be impossible to make a inaccurate table accurate if the table flexes, rip fence isn't parallel in it's track, & numerous other faults.
    Same with mitre saws,sliding models can be even worse for accuracy with slop in the head.

A good table saw with various jigs, has more uses when it comes to making boxes than a mitre saw.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Cheap table saws are not that accurate. Decent table saws are accurate but fairly large and pretty ferocious and cutting sections for small boxes isn't something I would want to do regularly. A good quality sliding mitre saw is accurate (but not that cheap) and good for angled cuts and cross cuts. A router table is good for housings and rebates, and also cleaning up edges and trimming small boards to accurate widths, but don't discount hand tools for small section timbers. small band saws are also very handy, and much safer than table saws, although not necessarily as accurate.

WillyEckerslike and KIAB like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have the Bosch GCM 8 SJ, superb accurate saw & with a Freud 64 tooth blade,you get a very fine cut, highly recommended saw, not cheap at around £250,going through Quidco, Topcashback, can save a few more pennies.

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

same as me - agreed - excellent tool

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Only blades I'm using are the Freud LP40M 019 - 64 tooth blade & Freud LP30M 019 - 48 tooth blade, covers all my needs.