What saw?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by spen123, Oct 22, 2017.

1. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Been thinking of getting either a table saw or plunge saw but not sure which one would be best. Most work is site work going kitchens so end panels and flooring will be main requirements. I do somtimes cut down thick material but not very often.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plunge saw, more useful.

Perfect fo cutting laminate flooring, trimming a door while still hung, list is endless.

spen123 likes this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That would leave a big gap.:):)

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can cut a pretty thin slither with Festool.:D

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Is a Festool a plunge saw?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Take the plunge :)

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:rolleyes:

Festool TS 55R EBQ or the older TS55, is that better...:rolleyes:

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If I was doing kitchens I would think a track saw would be more useful than table saw if only because of the virtually perfect edge you can get on laminate faced board because of the better anti chip.

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Track saw easier to transport than a table saw & lighter to carry.

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Plunge saw, takes up less space, less cumbersome and most importantly if you need to scribe a panel to a wall and the depth isn't uniform, say 560 at the top and 580mm at the bottom you can rip it down with ease with the track saw. Table saw keeps the panel or whatever material you're using square to its fence, so options are limited.

KIAB likes this.
  11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Nobody would use a table saw for fitting kitchens

12. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Track saw it is then. Makita looks good for the money

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had a Makita one about 9 years ago,found it very good,regret selling it now,no idea how the new ones compared to the old one for quailty,etc.

If I was to buy a new plunge saw, I probably spend the extra cash & go with the Festool.

14. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

I’ve got the makita and can’t fault it and do disagree with a lot of people’s opinions bout spend extra for festool as there better saws, having owned and used both I don’t think there worth the extra money.
    And if spending more get the mafell.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just come in,found time for a nosey in tool shop,:) compared Makita & Festool plunge saws, would go with Makita, just not enough benefits with the Festool to justify the extra outlay for me.

16. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

It’ll be interesting when the makita cordless plunge saw comes out in the uk to see how that compares to other cordless plunge saws on the market, I was sceptical bout the cordless palm router till I had a play with one last week and found it felt really well balanced with a 5ah battery on it and has the nessecary power for its intended purpose hinges, locks and trimming. It was just a shame they never had the offset base coz that does look interesting

17. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Its all well and good having a battery one but whst about dust extraction? You need power for that so may aswell have corded plunge saw?

18. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Guess it depends on whether you use 110v or 240v, the power take off on most 110v extractors are only rated to 1100-1200w running a 1400w saw or 1800w router through it isn’t always the best idea. An extractor will connect to the saw even if it’s cordless so you’ll still have extraction plus depending where your working may effect whether you actually have an extractor attached to the saw. Last year I had a couple of jobs doing the insides of beach huts where I had to carry all tools and materials on a bridge over a lagoon, a cordless saw would have saved me having to carry a generator 500m to where I was working

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not while the door is still hanging.

20. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Hmm - not sure I'd do it that way but........