Radiator not heating up

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by terry mcdermott, Oct 23, 2017.

1. terry mcdermott

terry mcdermott New Member

Hi all, we have just had a new radiator installed in the living room & a vertical column in the hall. The living room rad heats up but the hallway does not. The rads have been bleed & balanced but no joy. I'm no thinking it could be the plumbing design?

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No radiator ain't going to work with pipework like that.:eek:

Why is the flow & return pipes left side plumbed in together??:eek::confused:

Don't know what plumber you had, but the work is total carp!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'm struggling to work out just how they are plumbed in...not correct in any case. Kind of in series but that left side is definitely wrong.

It looks like, that upper left hand pipe, rather than going into that T piece, should cross over and connect to the pipe that joins the two rads. It should T into the 'other' pipe.

Must be some better/neater way of doing it though.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Flow & return are joined together.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  5. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Does column just warm up on the bottom only ? Photo of the column Helps.

The pipework in your photo needs to be changed to a 2 pipe system.

The living room radiator in technical terms is,just about working as best as it can.

6. terry mcdermott

Thanks for the reply, it is a bit of a mess. Lol. If the T on the left that is linking the flow to return is removed & a elbow is fitted from the return pipe to the radiator, would that flow?

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You need to move the T connection as shown, if this makes sense.

Attached Files:

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

upload_2017-10-23_13-16-33.jpeg

You basically need it like this,making sure trv is on flow side.

9. The TRV can go on either the flow or return nowadays. Most TRV'S, if not all are now bi-directional and can go on the most suitable or aesthetic side of the radiator.

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Which is the same as mine except swapped the flow/return on the hidden rad, your's is probably a better/neater way of doing it.

11. terry mcdermott

Brilliant cheers guys, diagrams are very helpful. The lower pipe is the flow pipe if it helps.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:oops: A slip of my old school habit having trv on flow.:rolleyes:

But, with bi-directional trv's then which ever end is erfrred.

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Do it as KIAB suggests, I would prefer to see end feed fittings used if you are capable, and some neat bends to keep it all, er, neat :)

KIAB likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You easily can with flow pipe (blue) Tee straight through wall, rather than go over the return pipe(red) then run up wall other side to vertical column raditor in the hall.

Same return pipe(red) I would also Tee that through wall & up other side, neater finish.

terry mcdermott and Dr Bodgit like this.
  15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Do you have pipe benders? I'm guessing not but if you can, try and get a bend right by the valve so the majority of the pipe runs parallel to the wall. If this is to be on show, I'd hate to be looking at this.

Attached Files:

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Spring.:)

Or buy a 45 degree end feed Obtuse elbow.

terry mcdermott and Dr Bodgit like this.
  17. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Are those copper push fit that you are using?

Was the radiator originally where the pipes go through the wall? I assume the vertical radiator is on the other side?

As another option as food for thought had you thought about moving the radiator to cover the abomination in the corner and relocate the socket to where the radiator is now? I know it might be a more labour intensive option but assuming there is space for the pipes to run vertically behind the radiator they would be hidden from view. The feed and return should not require too much manipulation to make fit running horizontally underneath. This is all assuming there is sufficient space at the back of the radiator and you can move the socket safely and in a way so it complies with regulations ie. not taking the cable horizontally.

18. terry mcdermott

I have a bending spring yes. :). So the radiator you can see is temporary until next year when we extend. The pipe work is hidden by a sofa & next year will be chased into the wall. The vertical 5 column rad in the hall is final finish, we didn't want exposed pipes for a nice finish. I think I will start again with your diagrams. I have a load of Yorkshire fittings I can use instead & try bending to minimize the joints

19. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

This suggests that someone did it for you... Is that right?
    If so get them back!

Regards,
    Cando