Best way to wire in new GU10 fittings

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Matt N, Oct 25, 2017.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

How much per wago is it? I have used about a handful in my time but don't like them. Seems to make a joint very expensive after faffing around and putting them inside a box. They are really only meant for inaccessible maintenance-free locations aren't they? Can't justify using them anywhere else, tbh. 5A or 15A connector block inside a chocbox is quick and cheap and they can be undone and re-used at a later date.

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Still prefer the small 20A JB's me sen! :rolleyes:

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Old school spark!:rolleyes:

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Using push fit Wago 773s or 224s, which can be reused, with a box you are looking at around £1.50 to £2.00 depending on where you source them. A ChocBox is around £1 plus a few pence for the strip and a decent brand old fashioned round junction box £1.20 to £2.00.

So, are they significantly more expensive? Not really, and when you consider the time element, a Wago connection in either an Ashley/Rock or ConnexBox (WagoBox) will take half the time or even less. How much time do you spend trying to route the various wires inside a round box, then find the missing screw, then orientate the cocer correctly for 2, 3, 4 way

5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Once knew a Jewish bloke.
    His son ran behind the school bus all week to save the 30 pence busfare each way.
    When he proudly told his dad about the money he had saved.....the dad smacked him across the head several times.
    The crying boy asked why he was hit.
    The dad says " you should have run behind a taxi and saved 25 pounds"
    :cool:
    RS

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I like the ease of the Wagos, strip and then either push in, or push in then push lever down. Have never liked junction boxes or choc blocks that need a wee flat blade screw driver especially when you have multiple cables to get into one terminal. A right ball ache.

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The answer is to avoid joints wherever possible. I prefer to have continuous runs of cable and hate doing junctions and joints. I know they are unavoidable as you need to use junctions/joints at some point. 20A 4-terminal jb is probably the one I use the most. There is a downside to using the Wago style and that is you need the correct size for the conductor. A JB or a connector block is more flexible in that respect. One size fits all. Just need to match the rating to the circuit.