Rear entry IP65 box

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Richard_, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Only joking Richard - aesthetics is a personal thing and the colour is up to you tbqh - why in my loft I have half a pack of Black Wiska boxes and a few 20mm black stuffers, no grey or white though.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

4. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

you don't even have to remove the membrane first either JP, as you screw the gland in with a spanner, the membrane just pops out real neat.

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes I do use those but the 108's are a bit smaller and neater for when using smaller cables and flex etc. but they aren't threaded, there's just a thin rubber membrane which you poke through with a screwdriver and then push the cable through, they do seal ok.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thats it Bright - did the same as you spanner (could have been mole grips actually, not nice though) and it just pops the membrane and its all good. I found just a little bit of care is needed when tightening lid screws, I was a bit ham fisted on the first one I used, and I messed the screws up - but you dont do it twice.

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

8. bright_Spark

Never used the smaller ones, may take a look at those as the ones I use are good for certain lights but the smaller 10w LED floods are as big as the box.

seneca likes this.
  9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

If you are doing rear entry into a box. Silicone seal the back and drill a 6mm drain hole in the bottom, just in case any wet gets in.

10. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

What looks better ...square box or stop end with gland ?
    RS
    ae235.jpeg

KIAB likes this.
  11. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You can’t conduit directly into a flood light like the one I linked to.

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh right - I will take a picture of my one later Lec and post it - basically I put a cable through cavity wall (in conduit) and it goes straight into fitting wiring enclosure. Not a bad little unit, its not led and was not very expensive.

13. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

They are made to allow connection to PVC conduit, not for a stuffing gland - needs a 20mm thread.
    To do that you’d need one of these.
    [​IMG]
    Note that it is a back outlet box (has a short threaded rear 'spout') other wise you have to drill out and grommet the rear entry).
    Then you'll need a rubber hasket and a front plate, and a couple of 4mm screws to match.

Easier to use a nice Wiska box, IMO.
    [​IMG]

14. bright_Spark

Think that sort of says it all really. You are either joking or you are sat on google looking for answers.

KIAB likes this.
  15. retiredsparks

Or.........you can use silicone to secure the gland into the outlet(as you are using it anyway) and a lid is no real problem.
    (I have done conduit and Pyro...about 50 years ago and since and am reasonably familiar with the system)
    The question was.. 'which looks better' ...and MT PVC conduit comes in black and white.
    RS

16. bright_Spark

ae235.jpg Just simply glue this onto a short piece of 20mm conduit, and screw the compression gland straight onto it!!!!

17. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I can see no reason why the flex should not be run through the wall, with a drip loop and protection through the cavity, to a termination box or accessory inside the house in an accessible position. Replacement is easy as the terminals are accessible.

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thats not very nice Bob..;)

19. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Sounds ok to me JP.

20. retiredsparks

Yep...still got to use glue one way or another...so no real problem...just whichever is the peference.
    RS