Decent speakers in a van...

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Dec 27, 2017.

1. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Just got a Pioneer DAB stereo for Christmas as an upgrade for my Renault Master.

Problem is, as usual, the bloody speakers in the doors at low level! I'm sure the sound is fine in the footwell, but I've found sticking my head between my knees whilst driving tends to result in more accidents than are convenient!

I did rig up an old set of PC speakers on the dash for the old radio, but they just rattled constantly.

Anyone upgraded the speakers in their van anf have any tips?!

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

In my van I have JBL door speakers, Clairon 6 x 9s in the roof lining running off a 400 watt amp with a Sony Bluetooth double din head unit. Sounds sweet. :D:D:D

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

4. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Placement is the problem though.

The current situation with mini PC speakers on the dash works acoustically, but the build of the housings obviously isn't suitable for constant vibration.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend an enclosed speaker for use in a vehicle.

In my day job I'm a sound system engineer, but in my professional life I only use kit which designed to be static!

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Swap the door standard speakers for the ones I listed above or better ones, if you are after super sound also fit an amp.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look for head lining speakers, some call them Roof Lining Speakers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I have my 6 x 9s in the head lining.

KIAB likes this.
  8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Back in the day, I used to use old speakers from old stereo systems. Keep them in their box and mount them on foam or rubber backing. boom boom boom, boobooboom.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Dr Bodgit and Rulland like this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Usually down to how they're mounted and the 'enclosure' that's formed with the speaker and vehicle.
    You could put the best speakers in and they prob won't sound loads better than cheapies if this is not factored in. Also potential for lots of background noise and vibration in a van so taming that will help loads.

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sound proofing is esential if you want to stop metal panels resonating,products like Dodo & Silent Coat are very good.

See this thread. https://community.screwfix.com/threads/sound-insulation.194251/#post-1555787

11. Bigbazsparky

Bigbazsparky New Member

Just had my Berlingo speakers upgraded.

It already has the touch screen that incorporated Apple play so happy with that. The problem was the old speakers were made out of lettuce I think!!! Any hint of volume they would distort. Got annoyed and decided to treat myself for my Birthday (as you do).

I have installed

Hertz Mille Pro 16.3 component speakers, tweeter and mid base units in the original places so cannot be seen. Crossovers hidden behind the dash. These are run from a Hertz HCP4 amplifier. Two channels running these and the other two channels bridged to run a Hertz 10" sub woofer. This is located up against the bulkhead behind the drivers seat with the bulkhead cut out so it can fire in to the cabin. takes up hardly any space and sounds AMAZING.

So much so my missus have named my van "BERTIE THE BOOMING BERLINGO":rolleyes:

12. Bigbazsparky

Bigbazsparky New Member

Oh and LOADS of Dynomat in the doors

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

My Lexus has small tweeters on the dash, wonder if you can get similar (stick on?) with the mid/bass going in the doors.

14. ThomasPof

ThomasPof New Member

@BiancoTheGiraffe did you manage to fix it? are you happy with your Pioneer unit?

Sorry for being off topic. I'm looking for a good reliable head unit for my car.
    I've been looking at reviews and they are all hype. So I'm kinda undecided.

I've been looking at the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. Found this site about the top
    double dins
    and got me more on the fence. How bad is the slow start? I have
    large fingers how small are those buttons?

Any tips are welcomed.