old corded drill or a new cordless drill

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Daniel1, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Daniel1

Daniel1 New Member

So im a bit confused i have a 16(about) year old corded drill, its a black and decker KR532 (500w, 13mm, 2400/2800rpm hammer drill, sadly the online manual doesn't state the bpm), from what ive been able to find on the internet the bigger the numbers the better the drill.

The reason for looking at a new drill is because i find it seems to struggle with masonry drilling, some of the older bricks in the house (Victorian) are real slow to drill into, which causes me to get impatient and push to hard to drill quicker which works until the drill bit snaps.

Most of my planned drilling will be engineered wood, with occasional concrete and brick

Ive been looking at the bosch gsb 18-2-li plus, however spec wise it seems to be much less than my current drill, which from drill buying guides suggests thats its worse than my old drill.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Superb drill Bosch GSB 18-2-li Plus, cannot fault it, well balanced,led light useful,use mine with 2Ah batteries, they last ages.
    Do recommend using Bosch multi construction bits.

With Black Friday coming, look out for the Bosch GSB 18 V-EC brushless combi,another excellent drill,got offered it at a silly price I couldn't refuse, it is very good, again batteries last ages, can't find any fault with it.

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/...MI-LL_mJzL1wIV7rXtCh3NswN-EAQYASABEgLgCfD_BwE

What is your budget.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Buy a corded bosch hammer drill £35ish from B&Q, then buy a cordless drill driver. If your trade then spend on a dual impact driver and drill set. I'm trade but haven't got a cordless hammer drill as don't need one. I don't drill masonry very often so I carry the bosch. I'm constantly use my light weight 10.8 volt impact and drill though. Cordless hammer drills have got lighter over the last few years but still a little heavy for screws and smaller wood drilling I think

4. Daniel1

Daniel1 New Member

KIAB - My budget is ideally 100, but im happy(ish) to stretch to about 150, from what i read brushless mostly just have better power optimisation, which im guessing in the long term saves money, but its more common for the battery's to die before the drill itself, im expecting this to be true for me as id say i am a medium user. but i do plan on keeping a eye out on black friday

Wayners - I am tempted with the cheaper hammer drill, but from what i keep reading there green line doesnt last very long even with medium use (although the issue with the internet is its very subjective, and most people that are happy dont make comments on reviews ect), one of the reasons im semi keen on cordless is i do alot of the cutting and pilot holes for wood outside and it means leaving the door/windows open for the etension cord (no issue when dilling masony inside though).

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. Daniel1

Daniel1 New Member

sds is a possibility, that one is much lighter than the others ive seen, and the one you linked does come with a chunk change so i can use drill mode without having to buy a separate converter, ive not used one before though does the weight make drilling accurate pilot holes difficult. although i guess worse comes to worse, i can just use my old drill for wood and the sds just for the harder tasks when needed.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have a Bosch GBH 4DFE sds breaker weighs about 5kg,( nearly double the weight of the one I linked to) I have no problems using quite small hss(about 4mm)bits in the quick change 3 jaw chuck with that came with the drill.

This link below show drill which has same quick change chuck as on my GBH 4DFE.

8. Ian Atkins

Ian Atkins Member

Don't overlook the drill bits that you use. No good having a super drill and then poor drill bits. If your having to force the drill sounds like the drill bits are blunt / soft.

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Masonry bits Heller TriJet sds plus masonry bits from competitor, just superb.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you have Accrington brick, then a B&D KR532 ain't going to drill it, regardless of the bit used.

And I 've struggle drilling holes using a sds plus drill with that brick being so hard.

11. Daniel1

Daniel1 New Member

Yeah i think the 2.7j is about right for me, i dont want anything to powerful that will shatter normal bricks, or damage the old mortar, and it looks like that will be fine for the concrete used to hold in wooden fence posts or the forefront of our garden when it needs to be replaced.

Ian - I did suspect the drill bits the ones i have are old, so i bought a new set, and sadly was a similar struggle, although it did do better on the newer bricks used on the houses extensions (i also think the original drill bits were fairly low quality aswell the person who bought them has the modern of cheapest is best ha, although in fairness when the drill was his is might have been used 5 times over say 10 years), my new ones was a bosch 100 piece set (£25) so im betting not high quality but medium quality, as the specs dont mention its BPM i suspect its just not providing much punch. compared to modern combi drills

When drilling the colour does match but the house was built prio to them bricks being manufactured so its likly a lesser brick, but still tough compared to the modern bricks used on some area's of the house.

12. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Splash out on the DeWalt cordless setup then. I'm really impressed at how the bigger DeWalt stuff has got lighter over the last few years. Get a hammer drill driver and impact kit... I could not do without my impact.

14. Daniel1

Daniel1 New Member

wayners - i do have a impact driver (lite, it only produces 5.5 which is enough for engineered wood and wall plugs), i couldnt live without mine either, it makes me wonder how much wrist endurance people in screw heavy trades had before them, even with a ratchet screwdriver my wrist starts aching after some 30 screws.

Thanks for the help and input all, i think to be safe im going to get the SDS drill, there are some diy projects in the future that will be easier(quicker) with the heavier power. and at 2.7kg with 2 handles it wont really be much heavier than my old corded.

15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Just thought I would add.. Sds can be a bit harsh and to powerful. Can also shatter old hard London bricks which is why I always start off with cheap bosch and work up to bigger drill if needed. I have a £50 sds from screwfix that will drill through anything. Been handy over the years at times. It's also done some damage!

16. Daniel1

Daniel1 New Member

it wasnt the titan was it?

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have never had any problems with shattering bricks using a sds plus drill.
    Mine & most other Bosch sds drills have 'Continuously variable speed control for clean drilling starts' which avoids possible problems.

18. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yeah. Real thumper. Used it to drill through some concrete fence posts to feed through barbed wire. No problem... It's a bit ott for home use I think.

19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Some good stuff there gobbo...just a tad random.

leesparkykent likes this.