Hob too small

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by juno99, Jan 11, 2018.

1. juno99

juno99 New Member

Hi,

Need some advice here. Moved into my first home, the kitchen has an existing oak worktop in good condition. I am considering replacing the existing gas hob because the cupboards above the hob are overhanging slightly on either side and some of the laminate are peeling off. Problem I have is the existing hob is 67cm wide and a new one is 60cm so when fitted there will be 35cm gaps on either side of the worktop. Any solutions? Should I buy some pieces of wood to fill the sides. Thanks

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Presume you mean 35mm? :)

Is it just a single run of worktop or does it form an 'L', or 'U' with adjacent worktops. If not, is there another run of worktop?

Depending on how good you are with woodwork, its possible to pack the gap out and fit some extra wood in, if you don't mind the obvious mismatch. Couple of potential problems. Firstly, when you remove the hob, unless the cutout has been cut out with a plunge saw or another 'machined' method, you will probably be presented with a wonky jig saw cut, so you'll need to true up sides, before fitting in some blocks. The 2nd, is down to expansion of the top and how your 'spliced in' piece reacts to any natural movement. Prob OK, if done well, but not guaranteed.

May be better to replace the whole top in the long run. I'm sure others will have a few ideas.

3. juno99

juno99 New Member

Oh yeah it's 35mm :p

Thanks for the advice. Its a straight run worktop. I have had a look at the cutout, 2 of the sides looks fine, but one is a bit wonky so like you said will need to true up. Another option I thought is to fit some stainless steel panel on top to cover the gaps but aesthetically not sure if it will look good. o_O

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Think overall finish will depend on the finish of the new hob - stainless steel perhaps ?

Splicing in new timber is gonna show as ur not going to perfectly match colour and grain and possibly some movement over time

I recon a made to measure stainless steel frame that sits over the worktop, screwed and or siliconed to inside of worktop, then hob drops in

Stainless can be thin, less than 1mm, mitred and polished at corners, or a brushed finish. If hob is stainless, this may ‘just’ look like it’s part of the hob :)

Or have steel frame made up as above and powder coated to match hob colour ?

Obviously any custom work is always gonna cost you a few more quid. Look for small independent metal fabricators near you, take measurements and some photos along and discuss with them and price up

There’s always a way round these things but yeah, it’s gotta look sweet at the end for sure :D

Post a picture of current set up and new hob please

juno99, KIAB and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  5. I think your own solution is best - get a suitable panel to fit over the existing hole that can then be cut to take the new hob.

If the new hob is S/S, then that'll make it easier - a SS panel should look fine. You should be able to find all manner of metalworks local to you who will cut and finish (the edges) a suitable sheet with either a satin, polished or 'brushed' finish. Think about the panel's corners - do you want them 'sharpish' or at the same radius as the hob - I'd imagine the latter.

Once fitted, it will also need some packing blocks under the width 'gaps' to allow the hob's clamps to hold (tho' many hobs are simply stuck down with suitable sealant).

Basically, pack out the 35mm gaps first - this can be crude - and then measure up a SS plate that's - ooh - a cm larger overall?

juno99 likes this.
  6. SF Admin - could you reverse Dave's and my posts, please, so's I get the credit... :oops:

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Seen as the OP suggested it himself, then a perhaps you should both go to spec savers! :D

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It’s a team effort lads, all pulling together, common goal = working solution for the OP :)

Very funny DA, shame you missed the ‘glory’...... had a busy morning perhaps ?

Funnily enough CGN,I am due an eye test, uv just reminded me so thanks !

Deleted member 33931 and CGN like this.
  9. Luckily for you my eyesight is soooooo bad I couldn't actually read your cheeky post.

CGN likes this.
  10. juno99

juno99 New Member

Thanks for the advice all. I have asked a local metal fabricator to cut out a s/s panel to fit onto the worktop with rounded corners to match the new hob. Much cheaper than getting the worktop replaced!

CGN and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  11. Cooool. And we'd love to see the result is that's ok? :)

CGN likes this.