I never thought the day would come

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mr Shabby, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Mr Shabby

Mr Shabby New Member

As the title states, I never thought the day would come but I need help in the planning of a bank of shelving!

The effect I want to achieve is essentially what will look like 4 x 70/30 split cupboards all at around 500mm wide. I'm ok with attaching the doors but where I need help is firstly with the choice of materials - should I go with MDF, Contiboard or ply for the internals. I may paint the interior but might not so that part can be worried about later.

Secondly, my room is 2.2m wide and tall so I will be having a small plinth at the bottom and scribe some material to finish each side. To build the internals, should I take a 2440 sheet and trim the end off to run it floor to ceiling,? If I do this, each shelf would span 500mm. Would that span be ok with a depth of 600mm made in MDF and if so, what thickness? Or would I be better to run the near full sheet from wall to wall and then glue and dowel upright sections in?

Like I said, I'm ok with the building but I find myself overthinking like crazy!!

Thanks in advance

Scott

2. A sketch would help to visualise this.

But I always build my units using MDF - just so much easier to shape and get a good finish on. You can cut it to any shape, layer it to get a thicker edge is needed, make 'panelled'-effect doors out of it easily, route V-grooves in it for a 'shaker' look - basically anything you want.

One drawback is that it (eg shelves) does sag over time if not adequately supported.

3. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Sounds like my ex wife :cool:

gingertimmins and Mr Shabby like this.
  4. Mr Shabby

Mr Shabby New Member

I'll get a sketch done later, just installed sketchup so it may be rough!

If mdf shelves will sag, is there a better material to make them from that won't go floppy. Or if I'm going to have to put bracing underneath, is there a cheaper material for the shelves?

5. MDF will only sag if it's either too thin or too long an unsupoorted width. Ie, it should be fine if the units are designed to take this in to account (and shelf thicknesses of less than, ooh, 18mm would look pants anyway.)

All I'm saying is that I think it has a slightly greater tendency to 'sag' a little over time (and weight) than similarly-sized ply or timber.

But pretty much everything else about MDF is a 'plus'.

Let's see your design and we can hopefully suggest if the sizes are ok.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Just trying to visualise ur ideas but, like you, I too like to plan and plan and then some and possibly over think things but, it’s the end result that’s important here :)

If you go with 1 full width shelf of approx 2m, then fit dividing panels between units, then obviously all shelves in 4 units will be at same height and give you no adjustment - depends on what ur using cupboards for

I would build as 4 separate units, as above, 18mm MDF great to work with. Will you be cutting using a table or track saw ? If so, will get great accuracy and speeds up construction time

Can’t see a problem with 18mm MDF shelves as fairly narrow at 500mm, unless ur storing bags of cement in cupboards :eek:

If you do look at using Conti Board, the vast majority of it and other brands supplied by the big ‘sheds’ is just awful quality these days. The face coating is thinner than the chocolate on a wagon wheel biscuit and difficult to minimise chipping when cutting

Better quality furniture boards available from more professional type suppliers

Doors .... just out of interest are you fitting with concealed hinges or frame fitting - good luck with the project