'Double Glazing' created with two acrylic sheets?

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by TGull, Feb 11, 2018.

1. TGull

TGull Member

I'm making a secondary glazing panel myself (not with magnetic strips) out of plastic (acrylic or the likes of) and with a wooden frame around the edge to secure to the window.

Some of the prices are quite reasonable (~£60 for a 1300 x 1800 panel), so I prefer the idea of this rather than the very expensive aluminium kits that you can get.

Whilst doing this, I suppose I could create a double layered glazing kit e.g. two pieces of acrylic with a ~10mm gap between.

Would this be even more efficient, or a waste of time do you think?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Time and money and effort! sorry but you did ask:eek:

3. TGull

TGull Member

Do you think it would be much more thermally efficient though?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If as a secondary glazing probably marginally if sealed well, making your own double glazed unsealed units would be a mistake.

5. TGull

TGull Member

Have you seen any examples? I'm unfamiliar with potential gains etc

Any stats would be great also.

6. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

slot 18 x 45 par timber to accept perspex. The bigger the gap the better for sound and heat. build the subframe and slot perspex into slots then when not needed leave subframe in and remove perspex

TGull likes this.
  7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Whats wrong with Magneglaze?

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would have a chat with a local glazing firm. The prices for glass these days are quite reasonable.

TGull likes this.
  9. TGull

TGull Member

Genius!

10. TGull

TGull Member

I feel like a challenge I suppose. Always ends bad though haha.

11. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Double glazing usually has 2 different thicknesses of glass (4 and 6 mm) for better accoustic dampening the different thicknesses dampen different frequencies........ I think . They usually contain a desiccant around the seal to remove the moisture in the cavity an interesting project for DIY good luck if it all goes well will look out for you in eBay

TGull likes this.