Combination ladders - safe?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by furious_customer, Feb 16, 2018.

1. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  3. facilities

facilities Guest

C1A91781-BB34-443C-B97D-5069B1750659.jpeg What’s the problem ?

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If you buy from a decent source and if the ladders are certified for use extended and the instructions say you can, then you are pretty safe to assume they are OK. Just make sure you follow the correct safety instructions in the manual. No UK supplier is going to risk putting a ladder in to the market that might collapse when used as directed.

5. facilities

facilities Guest

B593A40F-1297-4A82-9B59-4180686D37A7.jpeg
    Bin em they are overrated anyway, this is much safer

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Never had a problem, I do check the hinge is working as it should and lubricate the hinge mechanism every now and then to ensure smooth operation.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The thing that freaks people out when using aluminium ladders, be they hinged or sectioned is the amount they flex and creak when using them !

Usually when you get half way up then they suddenly give a big flex and metallic shriek then you think they’re deffo gonna give way :eek:

More so the lighter weight versions aimed at us diyers or price sensitive folk

I’ve got a similiar set (not from SF) and once you get to grips with the differant combinations, you can get them into more positions than a Thai Lady Boy ;) (Don’t ask me how I know) :oops:

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Must be speaking from experience...:eek::oops::rolleyes:

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

So how do you know? o_O

KIAB likes this.
  10. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

this can't be taken back Dave has put it out there and needs explaining :)

Jord86 likes this.
  11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well lads....... many years ago..... me and my new wife went to Thailand for our honeymoon

A strange choice of location maybe for such a romantic time in our lives and my dear brother pointed this out in his best mans speach, saying;

‘What an unusual thing to do on ones honeymoon - Ban Cock’

Anyway, that divided the hall with half in fits of laughter and the other half looking stoney faced and the new MIL looking like she could kill (not changed much in the last 20 years actually)

Anyway ....... sorry guys, Mrs is calling me in for supper, must go ;)

KIAB and Jord86 like this.
  12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

That's a lovely story Dave but you still got out of explaining how you're so well versed in the numerous kinetic motions of a Thai lady with a third leg, did she own the same set of ladders perhaps.........?

KIAB and Sparkielev like this.
  13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Was the ladder in his or her stocking !!!

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What happened in Thailand stays in Thailand .......... and it was a long time ago so the memory fades a little

Now ....back to those combi ladders ;)

KIAB and Jord86 like this.