PVA over mist coat before filling-in?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Theleman, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Ditto + o_Oo_O

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No, the price was right! :oops: :D

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I probably used that amount here in Easifill,plus several bags of multi finish,was easier to skim the whole wall, than patch.:D

4. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

With them I did full skim on the plastered wall and ceiling, because it was very rough.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::eek::eek:

6. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

7. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Covering the rough wall with this and skim it, will reduce sanding?

8. This is the same Theleman who's spent x number of months scraping off a silk emulsion 'mist' coat?

Come on, guys, let's have some fun - how long would it take him to scrape off a coat of PVA?!

Oh, the tears...

soz - my bad.

Oh, soz for using the 'soz' word. And the 'my bad' ones. Gawd - this forum has become a minefield since the 'gear grinding' thread :oops:.

KIAB likes this.
  9. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Scraping Silk Emulsion Mist Coat for 3 months was pain.
    But it all turned out nice finish in the end - so not too bad :)

But PVA on the holes of the walls was just a question, if it would better the filling-in exercise.
    Answer seems no, so aint doin it. But skimming a wall with the No Nonsense RMP was good.
    The rough wall is getting covered wuth nice white plaster. It will be sanded lightly and ready for mist coat.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’m confused .....

I’m out........

I’m going bed .........

Nitey nite :)

11. There's an on-going issue over PVA and its uses :).

It's fab stuff, really useful, but only in the right places. And the wrong place is on a wall if it's going to receive a coat of paint.

Your idea wasn't daft, actually - PVA can be used pre-filling. But if any of it got on to the top surface - say around the edges of the filled section - then you'd weep like a weepy thing when you'd come to apply a coat of emulsion.

Best to simply dampen the substrate before applying the filler. Or - if it's mix-up stuff - you could make it slightly thinner and skim it on in thin coats. Basically, observe how it goes on - if it shrinks forming cracks, dries out or 'crumbles' as you knife it on, then it's suckin' too bad.

Usually a good 'mist' coat will even out the surface enough and prevent excessive 'suction', but I guess this won't be the case if it's only a light mist coat.

KIAB and Theleman like this.
  12. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I think I have seen a pro decorator guy on youtube putting PVA all over the wall before painting.
    Someone asked, can you paint over PVA, and he replied, sure you could. I do it all the time.

13. No, you can't.

I know... :oops:

Perhaps that builder used 'waterproof' PVA, but 'normal' stuff will 'reactivate' when made damp again - which is good if you want stuff like a plaster skim to adhere to it. But you just try brushing or rollering over dried PVA - you won't believe the texture...

I wouldn't even use waterproof PVA for this - there are far better solutions out there like proper surface sealers/stabilisers which will make the walls perfect for painting.

KIAB likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  15. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

yeah, I am glad that I asked the question here, before putting it on.
    Disaster had been averted. :)

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Surely it’s even easier than the above stabilising solutions and potions mentioned

Don’t fully understand much of this post and what the OP is actually doing and materials used but generally, for sealing new plaster, repairs to walls using powdered / mixed filler, skim coats, Easifill, No Nonsense 10kg Glupe, Whatever, - nothing more than a simple mist coat using matt emulsion and good old tap water is needed - that’s it - simple innit .......... it is isn’t it ? o_O

17. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

No no, they are bought and used to skim one wall. Originally I was thinking of getting a bag of Multi Finish Gypsum, but because it is just one wall, I chose to use Ready Mixed Plaster.

One of the wall is very sandy and rough - maybe it was plastered with bonding coat, and never been finished off.

But I am also using it to fill-in any cracks and holes on the walls.

18. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Officially they are not filler, but they are Ready Mixed Plaster.
    But they can be used as filler too - very flexible in that way.