Book keeping software

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jayhub0, Mar 12, 2018.

1. jayhub0

jayhub0 New Member

Hi just looking into software to do my book keeping as my accountant has told me from next year it can't be done on paper.
    What I need to do on it is as follows:
    Monthly Cis returns
    Flat rate Vat returns
    Real time Paye
    Invoices
    Estimates
    Expenses sheet
    Payroll

I've seen quick books and sage have products, just need to know what costs are and how easy to use .
    Any info what u guys r using would be much appreciated

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

We are using Clear Books for my son's company, quite good but slow as it must be run via the web at all times. Could do with having some local processing in the PC to speed things up a bit.

3. Julien

Julien New Member

I've used Wave before, it does the invoicing and lets you keep track of it on the system along with the fact it's cloud-based with a mobile app, so no need to worry about running home to invoice a client etc. Depends on how many transactions you process.

4. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

I use cash board app, don't think it will do all that you need though. Around £8 a month and online only, no software. I'm thinking of moving away from it though, got plenty in mind if you're interested.

What I did to start with is setup another email account with Google, yahoo etc. Then use that to register for a free trial on loads until you find one that suits you. It's really dull but could save you accountant costs and your own time.

5. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

i'm in front of a proper computer now, but here are the ones i've tried

Paydirt (I like "Remind me to invoice this client when I exceed this amount of unbilled work.". Clients CAN NOT log in though)
    Toogl (looks nice but doesn't invoice)
    Avaza (haven't tested)
    Harvest (looks good so far, apart from logo on emailed notifications)
    Freshbooks (not enough customisation options)
    Actitime (min users is 5 so not good for one person)
    Clockin Portal (haven't tested)
    Sage Core Time (haven't tested, but probably overpriced)
    Free Agent (surprisingly good, offers accountant access which could be set up as client)
    cash board app

i would say you should look at ones that are not main stream and advertise a lot, like freshbooks and sage. I checked sage out and at first it looked like £10 a month, but then it was missing so many things I use and it was going to end up nearer £40 a month.

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

check out brightbook. If it does what you need it's free. OH has been using it for years for her simple invoices etc. You can export to standard spreadsheet format/excel to keep an offline backup. I think it will do everything you need looking at your list except maybe estimates as it's a bookkeeping package.

BikerChris likes this.
  7. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

nice one i'm going to look into that. when i last looked the free ones weren't really that good but it looks like bright books is being a bit different. cheers chris