periodic reports

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bewlec, Jan 24, 2005.

1. sparks

sparks New Member

at the boiler

Give me strengh.

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk New Member

im sure central heating pipes come out the boiler,where would you earth the pipes in the garden pond

3. Beanzy

Beanzy New Member

Surely no RCD is only down as a 4 with a comment to highlight its' importance?. The system may comply with an earlier version of the regs therefore get 4 for that, but as it's very important to have the protection, you'd back it up with a comments. I can understand the need for a 2 as it would require improvement if any alteration to the system were to be undertaken. I can't see how a 1 would be justified. I'd probably call the helpline and get them to verify which I chould do, after all it's free, and the folks on the phone are normally really helpful when ever I do call.

4. l00pd0g

l00pd0g New Member

I thought no RCD protection on sockets which could be used to plug in equipment outdoors was a code 1.

The example in OSG shows no RCD protected socket in the shed as code 1. The reason being that it could be used to plug in equipment which could be used outside, so in my understanding, the same as ground floor sockets.

In the example, the main bonding conductors are to 15th edition and so get a code 4, however, if they did not measure <0.05ohms, I would give them a code 1.

Well, that's my view anyway, for what it's worth.

Andy

5. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Mr. ssttee -

I had a sneaking suspicion you were an amatuer or DIYer.

1. The ORIGINAL posting said NOTHING about sockets outside buildings.

2. A subsequents post did and YOU mixed the two up. There was and is NO back tracking on my part PLONKER. They are two very different subjects. Maybe you have difficulty readaing more than one word at a time.

Not having RCD's on sockets is NOT a '1' its a '2'.

Yes it may be in the regs BUT, several things about items not in regs - just in case you were unaware.

(a) the are NOT retrospective else 50% of the houses in the UK would al have to have a new split CU fitted with RCD on sockets. Also there is NO house in the UK that meets all the regs.

(b) items that dont meet the regs are a '4' go and read the IEE PIR Certificate.

Back to school you go Mr. ssttee

RR

6. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Hi RR, I don't know if you read my earlier post on
    this subject but I totally agree with you on a code 2
    & I can't see were the code 1 comes into it, the
    other day I had a bit of a go over the guy who wanted
    to run a 10mm main equipotential bonding to a central
    heating boiler.
    A lot of these posts end in "better safe than sorry"
    but a PIR is to establish condition of the
    installation not to totally condemn it, I carry out
    PIR's for insurance companies & I see my job as
    providing the insurance company and the person
    responsible for the installation with an accurate
    report of the defects & associated dangers and if
    asked, to make recommendations. I can't see the
    problem with BS 3036 fuse links provided the
    installation has been properly designed and
    installed, sure people can install higher rated fuse
    wire but equally they can install a larger MCB to a
    circuit, makes you wonder how we managed for over 50
    years with rewirable's.

Yes Sparks I did notice but then you are a professional not a DIYer so I would expect you to know.

I come across these guys that do PIR's claiming all sorts of doom and gloom all the time - I am usually dragged in to arbitrate. The one I love is the one about old Wylex fuse wire CU's being a 'fire hazard' because when the fuse pops a flame may be generated and cause the house to burn down! Put down as a '1' that was!!

RR

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Mr. ssttee -

I had a sneaking suspicion you were an amatuer or
    DIYer.

1. The ORIGINAL posting said NOTHING about sockets
    outside buildings.

2. A subsequents post did and YOU mixed the two up.
    There was and is NO back tracking on my part PLONKER.
    They are two very different subjects. Maybe you have
    difficulty readaing more than one word at a time.

Not having RCD's on sockets is NOT a '1' its a '2'.

Yes it may be in the regs BUT, several things about
    items not in regs - just in case you were unaware.

(a) the are NOT retrospective else 50% of the houses
    in the UK would al have to have a new split CU fitted
    with RCD on sockets. Also there is NO house in the UK
    that meets all the regs.

(b) items that dont meet the regs are a '4' go and
    read the IEE PIR Certificate.

Back to school you go Mr. ssttee

RR

Quite agree RR

If you look at all the DIY Q's Mr ssttee has been asking over the last week or two it all becomes clearer.
    I think the proble is Mr ssttee is spending too long SAT ON HIS SETTEE, reg book in one hand mouse in tother, and trying to play with the pros!

;)

8. kraftwerk

kraftwerk New Member

now i know why i hate old electricians,who voted conservative in the 80,s and beleived maggie would look after them.who sold there souls to the agencies for a few pounds more against the unions advice.just look at the state of the industry you have passed on to us 4 different sparks doing the same job for 4 different rates,thanks for nothing

9. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Err...??? Have another G & T mate.

RR

10. l00pd0g

l00pd0g New Member

now i know why i hate old electricians,who voted
    conservative in the 80,s and beleived maggie would
    look after them.who sold there souls to the agencies
    for a few pounds more against the unions advice.just
    look at the state of the industry you have passed on
    to us 4 different sparks doing the same job for 4
    different rates,thanks for nothing

Perhaps if you listened to people with a little more experience, then you would gain some knowledge.

You talk about sparks of the 80's putting industry back, when you seem to be managing it perfectly well yourself.

Oh, and I wouldn't start going into politics with some of the people who frequent this site, as you are likely to learn something else you didn't want to.

Andy

11. kraftwerk

kraftwerk New Member

i love people who know everything,am listening to people preaching not informing.17 years of maggie produce these arogant people.

12. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

i love people who know everything,am listening to
    people preaching not informing.17 years of maggie
    produce these arogant people.

I think all this abuse your getting ssttee is now getting a little out of hand. I think what the general consensus is on this is that you will learn a lot more, and in the case of this forum, earn a lot more respect if you just sat back watched and digested. You will learn a lot more without getting involved. So far you have replied to virtually every topic and posted a diverse range of Q's yourself.
    Getting involved in debates when on this 'Steep learning curve' can & will only lead to frustration on your part, and annoyance from more experienced people. None of us professes to know it all but I for one would not be replying to all and sundry with the limited experience your previous replies and questions suggest!

13. kraftwerk

kraftwerk New Member

thankyou for your advice this is a discusion forum and i think some people are very easily wond up,maybe its the part p geting to them.just because someone writes something on here it doesnt mean its true.ie im still not sure if you have to earth the ch pipes with a main earth only sure that some people think they are right and will not have a debate about it because they are never wrong.

14. chocolateblock

chocolateblock New Member

SSTTEE, where do you get the 17 year of maggie from ???
    she came to power im May 1979 and resigned november 1990
    which by my reckoning in only 11 1/2 years. As a whole they were in power till may 1997 a total of 19 year.
    so pray tell me where 17 year came from

15. kraftwerk

kraftwerk New Member

ok 17 years of tories.johm major was her pick anyway.its not in the regs is it ?

16. NICEIC_QS_SPARK

NICEIC_QS_SPARK New Member

ALL SEEMS TO BE GETTING A BIT CHILDISH IN HERE. WHO REALLY CARES ABOUT THE TORIES? I KNOW I DON'T. I AM NOT A GREAT LOVER OF PART P MYSELF (APART FROM THE FACT I HAVE JUST BEEN APPROACHED TO ACT AS AN ASSOCIATE, CHECKING PART P CANDIDATES FOR £300 A DAY)BUT IF IT MANAGES TO GET RID OF SOME OF THE COWBOY ELECTRICIANS THEN IT'LL DO FOR ME.
    WITH REGARDS TO AN OLD CONSUMER UNIT BEING A CODE1. NO WAY!! NEVER!!!
    YOU CAN ACTUALLY STILL USE BS3036 FUSES IF YOU WANT TO. TO THE NON ELECTRICIANS A BS3036 IS A RE-WIRWEABLE FUSE. AS LONG AS YOU MEET THE DESIGN CRITERIA BS3036 ARE OK TO USE (NOT THAT I WOULD EVER USE THEM)
    BS7671 NEVER STIPULATES THAT BS3036 ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE. BS7671 SIMPLY ADDS IN DESIGN CRITERIA THAT WILL PROBABLY MEAN IT IS CHEAPER TO USE BS/EN60898 MCB'S AS CABLES HAVE TO BE BIGGER. YOU CAN RECOMMEND THAT BS3036'S ARE REPLACED FOR MCB'S BUT YOU CANNOT STIPULATE IT AS BEING A CAT1 REMEDIAL AS IT IS NOT NECESSARILY DANGEROUS.
    I WILL NOW GET OFF MY SOAP BOX AND WAIT FOR CHUBBYPHASEWIRE TO POST A REPLY SAYING SOMEONE GOT KILLED WITH A BS3036 AND ADVERTISING A COURSE AT HIS PLACE

MARK

17. part-p.org.uk

part-p.org.uk New Member

Mark the Spark.

Could you try a use lowercase for your posts. Makes it easier to read.

Thank you

18. NICEIC_QS_SPARK

NICEIC_QS_SPARK New Member

OOPS!!!!
    sorry