Downlighters - 240V or 12V?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by RSJ, Jan 28, 2005.

1. RSJ

RSJ New Member

Looking to specify new lighting for a kitchen and I don't really know the differences/benefits of 240V (GU10) Halogen downlighters versus convential 12V transformer based halogen lights. I understand theres no need for the transformer on 240V lights and that bulbs for GU10 are a bit more expensive. What are the other differences though. Someone once told me that 12V light is whiter, is this true and is there anything else to consider. Advice would be appreciated as I have quite a few rooms I want to convert from normal ceiling roses.

Cheers

2. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Hi RSJ

12V lights need a transformer, but this is an initial one-off cost. At present there is a big difference in price between the 240V and 12V. 240V are approx 3 to 4 times the price of 12V. This will probably change as the 240V become more common. The 12V lamps started off life at approx £5 each but you can now get them for 73p.

Most people use dichroic 12V where the heat generated passes through the reflector at the back of the lamp, and the heat generated at the front is less. Whereas, although dichroic 240V lamps are available, the most commonly used are the aluminium reflector type where most of the heat comes out the front of the lamp.

With 12v lamps you may be aware of a slight buzzing noise from the transformers, although this is a lot less of a problem now that nearly all transformers are electronic. The older torroidal transformers were often very noisy.

With 240V there is no transformer so no noise at all.

Hope this info is useful.

BB

3. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Yes the 12 volt ones have a more appealing light softer and whiter. Never fit the bar stewards though myself I always fit GU10's (240) as I dont want be called back and told the lights keep going on and then off then on...(thermal tripping).

If you do fit selv make sure the transformer is well away from the back of the light and plenty of air circulating around.

Although that is how I leave them (or used to leave them) when people change to lamp they pull and push at the cables dragging the transformer around. Or where a loft above they shove suitcases down over the back of the lamps etc. Hence to tripping.

4. w4builder

w4builder New Member

Personally, and I put a lot of these in, I would go for low voltage every time. The light is much brighter & the initial cost of the transformer is negligible (£6 or so).
    GU10's are just as hot, but the light is not as good, so you have to have them up full all the time. The bulbs go often and are expensive and I find they burn dimmers out quickly if you don't "de-rate" the dimmer. (ie over specify by 50%) If you allow £15 per light you can get perfectly good low voltage sets all inc.

5. m.elec

m.elec New Member

has there been any changes in the building regs concerning downlights with regard to fire hoods etc