Looking for a multi tool that won't let me down.

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by CK335, May 23, 2018.

1. CK335

CK335 New Member

I've blown my way through a couple of cheapo multi tools in recent years, so considering splashing out on something that will stand the test of time. Not fussed whether it's cordless. Just needs to be quality and, ideally, come with a handy carry case.

What are your experiences and recommendations?

The Fein FMM350QSL looks tasty.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

You've already identified the one I would recommend

3. CK335

CK335 New Member

It's a shame it's not brushless, but there's a three-year warranty at least.

4. LEH

LEH Active Member

I've got the Dewalt, built like a tank.

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have had a FEIN for around 10 years - still going and no problems. Not used every day but when I do need it, it is heavily used.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I've got an 18V Dewalt and a 110V Makita. The Makita's got a bit more 'oomph' but both are good for the money.

Everyone here seems to like Saxton blades, never tried them, I use Bosch blades.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. Pollowick

Everyone has their favourite brands and often sticks with that, however, there are possibly two tools where you should ignore allegiance: Multi-tool and routers. The multi-tool has been copied many times but there is nothing which betters FEIN in either mains or battery versions.

WillyEckerslike and KIAB like this.
  10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I would counter that by saying Fein are bloody costly compared to the competition!

11. Pollowick

Makita - around £105 -110
    Fein - £117 https://www.ukplanettools.co.uk/Pro...MI75WDop2e2wIVGfEbCh1LTAVDEAkYCSABEgIwJ_D_BwE for a base model

Or go for the full Fein kit with a 350W version for juts over £200.

Yes, it sounds a large difference, however, the Fein comes with 6 blades, carbide sander, sanding pads and sheet, dust extratcor ... the cost of thos accessories will easily make up the difference

KIAB likes this.
  12. MRSJ

MRSJ Member

Dewalt all the way, great warranty and it has the benefit of the speed change for blades.

13. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

And the router choice......?

14. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

copy-pasta
    [QUOTE="AlvyChippy, post: 1606091, member: 172277"
    Ridgid JobMax / AEG Omni Pro REAL "Multitool" attachments surprised me- perform great so far. Buzz-saw (Multi(tool)-Cutter) attachment especially for NON StarLock toll-less blade change, produced really decent cut in softwoods, however to trim green oak, when it needed slower but more powerful cut it failed, had to get my corded Bosch to not to be burning blades, still way better performing tool than my old corded Makhyta.
    [/QUOTE]

So far my Bosch, despite ridiculous blade overpricing due to patented StarLock has been THE very best ("multi-cutter-tool"- buzz-saw from now on ;) ), cutting using right blades BETTER, that Fein

AEG cordless is fantastic performer so far, even it is not StarLock, even its doesn't have no guts to cut at slow speed

In short- avoid old models, I am certain manufacturers learned that the convenient and solid blade fitting + length of a stroke are the keys to productive cuts, but production quality and value for money (general folks believe in labels) would be deciding factors

15. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Right arm , best multi ever, cordless , £ 0

AlvyChippy likes this.
  16. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i have had the bosch 10,8v/12v for years its brilliant but off course it wont compete with mains
    a few years ago i got the ryobi 18v and it performs well a bit better than the bosch
    i have recently upgraded to the dewalt 18v and its nearer a mains power tool
    i still have all 3 but off course compact areas look at the bosch
    heavy duty look at the dewalt