What Radius are Radius Hinges.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DaveF, Jun 19, 2018.

1. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

As you can tell I don't fit doors all the time, but now and then. I have always used square hinges in the past but thought radius hinges would be quicker. But my jig uses a 12mm bit and I am pretty sure the radius of the hinge is bigger than that? ( That is of course a 1/4 Radius but I think most 102 hinges are bigger? Or are they indeed 1/4??)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Practice on a bit of scrap wood & find out.:D

Seen 102mm hinges with 5/8" & 1/4" radius, I got some radius hinges here & radius is listed as R10 :confused:,to early to work that out.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  3. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

I don't have any to practice on, I was considering buying some but few companies ever list the actual radius.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Just checked some here ... 102mm (4") hinges and they are 6.35mm (1/4") radius. But as said, they will vary depending on hinge brand and size.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's annoying, got some amercian radius hinges here,they have a 1/4" one corner & other corner is 5/8" radius.:confused:

USA keeps it simple with radius hinges.

[​IMG]

AlvyChippy likes this.
  6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I know it is a cut and paste - but the comments are way out.

A US Dime is 17.9mm in diameter so say 9mm radius which is way different to 1/4" or 6.35 mm

A US Quarter is a touch over 24mm diameter so 12mm radius agin way off the 5/8" or 15.875 mm referred to.

7. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

If i had a dime for everyone that's pointed that out.teehee

8. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

Well I bought some and they are indeed a 10mm radius. I was hoping they would be US radius but they aren't. I must admit I did have an incling they might be because Screwfix sell a 20mm router bit for "Radius Hinges", and they are unlikely to sell the wrong size. Buuuut I was hoping they might be US sizes in which case my 12mm router bit for my jig would have done.