Armoured Cable

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by uigisleofskye, Feb 1, 2005.

1. uigisleofskye

uigisleofskye New Member

Help, I run a small caravan park on the Isle of Skye, & have to connect a replacement caravan to the mains supply, I have a local qualified electtrician to do the job, but the problem is the old cable is to short, I explained this to the electrician & he said he is away on hols for 10 days but order a roll from screwfix & he will fix it & issue the safety cert as required under the caravan sites act on his return, but what do I order?.
    The existing cable he removed says 600-1000volts 3x10, can anyone tell me what that relates to in the screwfix range?. All the supply cables were renewed about 2 years ago so I presume this is the correct cable?.

2. arsey dee

arsey dee New Member

10mm 3core swa i presume

3. Smigga

Smigga New Member

The cable is undoubtedly 3core 10mm ie 3x10mmsq.SWA Steel Wire Armoured cable. I doubt if screwfix would stock it you need to contact an electrical wholesaler. If you get stuck I could help you out I have friends in the elec. trade supply.
    Dave

4. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Yo lucky man, living on the Isle of Skye - a WONDERFUL place it is too. The Talisker distillery (my favourite malt) is worth a visit.

And as for the golf course there - one hole is par 3; only about 130 yards. Ya tee off high up overlooking the sea, pick up ya wedge and belt it one - goes all off 130 yards - backwards! Took me 8 to get the wee ball down the f*g hole.

Really worth a visit a lovely place - and refuse to pay the fee to cross the bridge! The police wil be called, you wil get a ticket and told to go over the bridge and nothing else will happen - or have things changed?).

Now what was the question.....

RR

5. uigisleofskye

uigisleofskye New Member

Rabbit rabbit Yes this a wonderfull island, yes Talisker is a fine malt (the tour is well worth the money) & best of all the bridge is now FREE!, so no one has any excuse not to visit this fantastic part of the world.
    P.S. I do know of a very good B&B who also has very reasonably priced self catering caravans.

6. chocolateblock

chocolateblock New Member

RR are you from Scotland if so where

7. tellondon

tellondon New Member

My parents own a static caravan on the south coast, the site has recently installed each plot with an electricity meter and a 16Amp commando socket with built in RCD, this way `most caravans if they are static or mobile will be able to plug in `
    16A doesnt sound alot for a static caravan with kettle,microwave,lighting power etc etc but its never tripped so far

8. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

RR are you from Scotland if so where

Sadly no and if I were I would want to live on the Isle of Skye - it is a very wonderful place indeed. If ya ever that way stay and/or eat at 'Glen View' (a B&B with great seafood and lovely couple that run it) - it's on the A855 on th left hand side.

RR

9. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Rabbit rabbit Yes this a wonderfull island, yes
    Talisker is a fine malt (the tour is well worth the
    money) & best of all the bridge is now FREE!, so no
    one has any excuse not to visit this fantastic part
    of the world.
    P.S. I do know of a very good B&B who also has very
    reasonably priced self catering caravans.

lamo it's FREE!! It was built by Bank of America money if I recall and all the locals refused to pay the dues to cross - including the local magistrate and he has some 30 tickets from the police! Is it true that if anyone was hauled up in front of him he would just say "case dismissed!"

So the choice now is take the road to Mallaig from Fort William - and take ya sea sickness tablets lol and catch the Ferry or drive on round the lovely West Coast and over the bridge then ...cant wait.

Tell me more about this "I do know of a very good B&B who also has very reasonably priced self catering caravans.
    " then!

You are a VERY lucky man to be living there!!

RR

Only problem with visiting Talisker is the cost - sod all to get in and at least 5 bottles to get out!! Lovely Jumbly it is too.

10. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Right
    3 core 10.00mm SWA is what your electrician wants, and you'll only get it from a wholesaler. Screwfix don't do it.

Skye? Marvolous place - UIG hotel? stayed there a few times.

TT

11. uigisleofskye

uigisleofskye New Member

The Uig hotel is a very nice place now run by a South African couple Bill & wendy, I have a place by the pier in Uig a great place for a break see www.orasay.freeserve.co.uk
    we are all still recovering from the storm, some roads were washed away,& a lot of roofing work up here for all you builders.
    The only problem with living here is the laid back attitude of everyone, it's like the Spanish but without the rush, any small building job just takes forever!, but they are all good at sending out bills on time.

12. Minesa Pint

Minesa Pint New Member

Ross Electrical (Inverness) will deliver if you pay up front (01463 221881)
    You might also require a joint kit if your spark doesn't fancy replacing the full length of cable back to the source.
    Happy caravaning!